CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Aftermarket Radio Install Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430 Cabriolet
Aftermarket Radio Install Question

Hi All,

Was following all of the threads today (thanks to all especially Marcus) and trying to install my new Pioneer MVH-P8200BT when it wouldn't power on. Long story short (about 2 hours of troubleshooting) the wiring harness in my 01 CLK430 Cab. does not have a pin in the 3rd position in the bottom row, which is where the red wire is). The pin above the ground shows a constant 12.5 volts, but there is no other live pin that I can hook up the switched to...so here is my question - Crutchfield said it should be OK to hook it up to the cig. lighter wire.

Does this sound OK? If so, then any ideas on how to get the ash tray assembly out so I can look at the wire?

Also, I will be hooking up an XM (Pioneer GEX-920XM) as well and I wanted to use the lighter wire for that hookup. Would it be OK to hook up 2 power wires to the lighter?

What's everyone think - please let me know for this is a summer car with 31k on the spedo and I wanted to have this done within the next month so I can break it out for Spring. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
That correct use the cig lighter for your switched power.

Once you have you stock headunit out the cig +/- wires are in plain view.

not sure of the amperage/watts for cig but your two componets (XM and HU) im sure won't be much of a draw of power, i would think would be just fine. If its too much you'll probably just pop a fuse If so look for another switched power source...theres plenty of em all over the console.

Last edited by GiZzO; 02-20-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM

CLK 430 Cabriolet
Thanks GiZzO for the note on the setup and draw. I have both the HU and the storage unit below the HU out and it looks like in this car the wiring runs below and to the right of the storage hole and feels clipped to the console since it is tight. Any idea on how to take out the ashtray assembly? I looked in the forum and I can't find anything for a CLK. Anything would be appreciated.