CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Top closes, switch light stays on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet
Top closes, switch light stays on

I just bought a 2001 CLK320 Cabriolet (W208) and have a problem with the top. The motor work ok and the cables were all replaced by the MB a few months ago.

It when it opens it is fine and the switch light goes out. When I put the top up it closes ok but the switch light remains illuminated (and if release the switch and push it again to try to get it to close the windows nothing happens). The top locks ok.

If I hit the button to down for a second (while the top is locked up) and then stop and push the button the wndows will close automatically, but the light remains on no matter.

I am assuming it is a mis-adjusted limit switch, but I have not been able to find a diagram to locate the switch or instructions to adjust them.

Any suggestions and does anyone have any documentation regarding the location and adjustment of the switches?

Thanks

Rich
Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 PM

2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet
Updated info

Originally Posted by rbr115
I just bought a 2001 CLK320 Cabriolet (W208) and have a problem with the top. The motor work ok and the cables were all replaced by the MB a few months ago.

It when it opens it is fine and the switch light goes out. When I put the top up it closes ok but the switch light remains illuminated (and if release the switch and push it again to try to get it to close the windows nothing happens). The top locks ok.

If I hit the button to down for a second (while the top is locked up) and then stop and push the button the wndows will close automatically, but the light remains on no matter.

I am assuming it is a mis-adjusted limit switch, but I have not been able to find a diagram to locate the switch or instructions to adjust them.

Any suggestions and does anyone have any documentation regarding the location and adjustment of the switches?

Thanks

Rich
UPDATE

I just spoke with the former owner, there was an accident where the open driver's door was hit and Mercedes installed a new door shell and window controller/electronics. It was after that the top light started staying on. As there is a chim when the top cycle ends and the trunk interlock is off (I can open the trunk) I seems like there is either a misadjustment with the driver's window control or a missing or loose connection (the window doesn't give a problem when the top is down) Additionally, I tried using the window up feature using the remote key fob and nothing happened.

Does anyon have a wiring diagram for the driver's window electronics (at least as it relates to the convertible top circuit)? Any other thoughts or suggestions are also welcome

Thanks

Rich
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
For the key fob to work you need to be just inches away and directly aimed at the ir receiver... it's very picky on the aiming. I dont have a wiring diagram but it does sound like your problem is in the lock mechanism in the header panel... not related to the door. If it were with the door I would think the light would stay on top up or down.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:07 AM

2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
For the key fob to work you need to be just inches away and directly aimed at the ir receiver... it's very picky on the aiming. I dont have a wiring diagram but it does sound like your problem is in the lock mechanism in the header panel... not related to the door. If it were with the door I would think the light would stay on top up or down.
The only reason I am unsure about that is that I get the chime when the top comes up and the trunk interlock come off (I can open the trunk) and the former owner told me that he recalls the problem with the light staying on started around the time they replaced the window controller. I am taking it into the stealership that did the work tomorrow. They have offered to troubleshoot it for free (and if it is as a result of their work they will repair it), so.... (wish me luck)
Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
goos luck... make sure to come back and let us know what they find!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:26 PM

2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet
Misadjusted limit switch

Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
goos luck... make sure to come back and let us know what they find!
Misadjusted limit switch and $200 to the stealership later and all is good (And the error message from the analog-teleaid is disabled, too!!)