CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Funny Story and a Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny Story and a Question

I have been searching for a 01 02 AMG 55 for a month now. Started with the E55 but then I drove the CLK55 Coupe and fell in love with the coupe. I decided to try out a convertable and here was one near by a CLK430 for sale at a KEA dealer.

I go there and they cannot find the 430 but there is am identical CLK55 there. Silver drop top. So I thought I got confused and looked at the wrong one online. I take this CLK55 for a drive. The sales guy takes me to some back roads and I drive it hard. It was fast. The other 55s I test drove I didn't really has a chance to drive hard.

Then we lowered the top and it was just so much fun to go fast with the top down. I am so torn between the lighter prettier coupe vs having an AMG convertible.

The car was fast. I dont remember if the speedo said amg, I rememeber the engine cover didn't say AMG.

He outside said CLK55 AMG and it had the kit and the rims.

We go inside to negotiate. They pull the carfax everything looks good. He finds out the car is in their other inventory list so he calls the manager there. Asking price is $17000. He's talking to the manager on the phone I hear $13500.

I start to get really excited when I noticed the carfax says CLK430. He gets off the phone apologizes and tells me it is a 430 with the badges changed. I asked why would anyone do that? He said previous owner did. I laughed offered $10000 and left.

The 55 has 70hp and 80 tourqe more than the 430. You look at the 0-60 and it's a second difference. I did not notice a difference. The 430 was fast, not sure the mods.

Question

Does that tinny difference in speed really justify the 55 price tag vs getting an easier to find cheaper 430?
Old 04-22-2011, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
A guy that I work with did the same thing to a ML. It looked good but it was just a 320 with a AMG body kit and badges. Whatever. Ask yourself if the extra insurance cost and the extra fuel costs you pay owning an AMG over a 430 is worth it. You can do a few simple mods to make the car run better. Sprintbooster and a chip tune are two easy ones and you will be amazed. Marginal horsepower and torque gain from the chip tune. Better throttle response from the SB. There is a long thread from satisfied buyers of the SB. Personally, I like the coupe. I see to many posts on this forum from guys with rag top hydralic problems. I suppose there are just as many who don't have problems. Cab is just not my preference.

Last edited by dlbehrns; 04-22-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:44 AM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
If your gonna get a V8 might as well go with the big one
The MPG difference is marginal, what is it 4MPG at most? I pay $68 for insurance.
If your gonna mod your car little down the road your gonna wish you had gotten the AMG line instead. As more and more cars are under 5 second cars...its nice to know you can hang and you can do it in luxury and style. The AMG auto tranny is strong and its amazing the little effort it is. You'll find yourself beating cars your not supposed to... along with thumbs up and wtf looks. Car pulls hard throughout the RPM band, sprintbooster does assist this. The brakes are on point, they are amazing.

I went back and forth test drove the hell out of both, I was actully shopping for a 430 but fell in love how much more complete the 55 is and i ended up with a low mileage 55 (knowing im gonna keep this one for a while).... if your an aggressive driver at times your gonna find the cars two different animals. If you have a uninteresting drive then your gonna find the cars just about the same.

Get what fits you, if you get the AMG consider a money jar saving up for tickets. And expect big smiles from yourself its a joy to drive.

"Grrrr, I'm so angry about being an engine! I wanted to be an eagle or a lion... Grrrr!"" -Jermey Clarkson notes about the AMG sound.

Last edited by GiZzO; 04-23-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by GiZzO
If your gonna get a V8 might as well go with the big one
The MPG difference is marginal, what is it 4MPG at most? I pay $68 for insurance.
If your gonna mod your car little down the road your gonna wish you had gotten the AMG line instead. As more and more cars are under 5 second cars...its nice to know you can hang and you can do it in luxury and style. The AMG auto tranny is strong and its amazing the little effort it is. You'll find yourself beating cars your not supposed to... along with thumbs up and wtf looks. Car pulls hard throughout the RPM band, sprintbooster does assist this. The brakes are on point, they are amazing.

I went back and forth test drove the hell out of both, I was actully shopping for a 430 but fell in love how much more complete the 55 is and i ended up with a low mileage 55 (knowing im gonna keep this one for a while).... if your an aggressive driver at times your gonna find the cars two different animals. If you have a uninteresting drive then your gonna find the cars just about the same.

Get what fits you, if you get the AMG consider a money jar saving up for tickets. And expect big smiles from yourself its a joy to drive.

"Grrrr, I'm so angry about being an engine! I wanted to be an eagle or a lion... Grrrr!"" -Jermey Clarkson notes about the AMG sound.
Yeah I will wish I had gotten the extra 70hp. You are right no point in rushing just need to find the right 55.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:04 AM

2012 C63
Go the 55, you won't regret it. AMGs are very special vehicles!