CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Illuminated sill wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 430
Illuminated sill wiring

I know this has been discussed, but it would appear no "real" answer has been given. I wanna light up my sill with some LEDs. Nothing too special.

I have looked at the "instructions" on a site that sells lighted sills. And they are unclear at best.

Can someone (preferably someone who has lit their sills)

Tell me the colors for the wiring on both drivers and passenger side on a 2000 clk 430?

TIA
Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I followed these instructions http://www.formymercedes.com/Installation-CLK.asp for my 2002 CLK55 and everything works fine.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 PM

2000 CLK 430
Right. those were the directions I was referring to.

I have no RED 12V on the passengers side. Only a RED and PURPLE stripped, on both the passenger and driver side.

needless to say, after that im a little nervous to just make a go at the rest.

can anyone else help?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 / E350 Coupe
I've always wanted to do this mod but the bluish color throws me off do they come in pure white or or maybe a little on the orange side to match OEM colors?
Hot blue.....seriously?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:34 AM

2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by GiZzO
I've always wanted to do this mod but the bluish color throws me off do they come in pure white or or maybe a little on the orange side to match OEM colors?
Hot blue.....seriously?
Drillin a bighole in the sill is the part that has always put me off. I know what you mean though about the blue :/

I didnt buy those. I was at the local auto parts store and bought them "24 inch LED strips" im going to mount them vertically so the LED light illuminated the MB V8 that is already on my sill.

I would luv to get it done and take some pix, but man these wires are a PITA
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm a rather conservative guy but love the subtle blue look when the door is opened. It is not real bright that glares. I've received lots of positive comments. In reference to the hole...yes, you have to drill the hole. If you want to get rid of the illumination, you will need new sills. I've had them w/o any problem for 6 years now and would do it again. I really don't want to pull them up( might jinx my good luck with them) to check the wires but you can have any electronics guy check to see which is your hot red wire. I don't like the idea of just illuminating the MB from above. That would look aftermarket and would detract...IMHO.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 PM

2000 CLK 430
I am not sure I'm going to like what I got going on either. It's gonna be hit or miss. But the point is I can rig it up and see how I like it for a week or so before I decide to drill the sills.
It might look gawdy. It might look great.
My other issue with the sill that are sold is that there is no MB V8 version. I like the fact it says v8 on my sill.

I don't have an amg55 and to be honest if you do I don't want you to take your sills apart as I'm sure they are the same as in the directions in the site and that doesn't help me really.