CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

1999 CLK320 Valentine 1 Hardwire Thanks MMgrand!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
1999 CLK320 Valentine 1 Hardwire Thanks MMgrad!

Hello, I used the directions posted here by MMgrad in the attached thread as well as other people’s instructions and everything went pretty much as planned.
Mmgrand directions

I got the plastic trim out, the wood in my center console really needed some pulling on to get it to pop out but it did without breaking. I unscrewed the two screws for the ashtray. The ashtray did require allot of maneuvering to get out, but it will come out (it goes back in easier than it comes out). This is where things were a little different than explained in some other threads. I was expecting to find a black wire with a yellow stripe leading to the cigarette lighter but there was no black wire with a yellow stripe. There were two gray wires leading to the light for the ashtray, a brown wire leading to the lighter and two pink wires with green stripes that lead into one connection for the lighter. I suspected that the pink wires with the green stripe (could have been green with a pink stripe) were the 12V switched and that the brown was ground (a friend who has done stereos in German cars for sometime said that brown should always be the ground in a German car unless they went and changed the complete wiring system). I went and bought a voltmeter at Wally World and verified that it was correct. I used the t-connector and taped onto one of the pink/w green striped wires. I grounded it to one of the screws that requires an alan head to the left of the gear selector and everything worked great!!. I mounted the concealed display to my upper left on top of the driver air vent and it sits pretty well without any sticky tape. It is angled perfectly towards my eyes. Radar dectors are not illegal in NC and you will only see it if you are passing me. I was going to mount it in the instrument cluster but if the steering wheel is turned (I dirive on a twisty road quite a bit) it gets in the way of my line of sight. To get the concealed unit wire under the drivers leg compartment I used the air vent like the one on the passenger side and fed the wire up and around (behind the petals and over a few objects so that it will never hang down. I then just fished it up beside the dash like on the passenger side. Everything assembled easier than it came out and it looks great. I went on a road trip over the weekend and it kept me from getting a ticket where I think my old cheap unit would not have. This thing is amazing how far it will pick up cops from. Thanks Mmgrand and others who have posted directions and thanks to Mike Valentine for producing a radar locator that is well thought out and best of all works as described. Anyone that lives in Wilmington NC should know that they have re-paved River Road and it is great. Just watch out for all of those pesky bicyclers!! and the state trooper in the Jeep Cherokee!!

Last edited by bmac002; 05-20-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
ok... i will assume this was directed towards me...

glad everything turned out well... please post a pic when you get a chance, i'd like to see how you installed the concealed unit...

Last edited by mmgrad; 05-19-2003 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
It was a thanks to you but more just FYI for people with 1999 CLK320's. I also see that I put Mmgrand throughout the post. oops. I han an extra n in there. Do you think that they changed the coloring scheme between 99 and 00 on the wires leading to the lighter? I would not think they would have different shemes for the different engine models, ie. 430 and 55.