CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Interesting Tire presure feedback.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Interesting Tire presure feedback.

My sizes. 234x40x18 front and 255x35x18 rears.
Hi Guys
I have read many different posts about tire pressures and know that there is loads of info on this. So I thought I would give some actual feedback on what happened when I changed my pressures.
The reason I wanted to try different pressure is that I was getting the common ‘hopping / skipping’ at low speeds on full lock on the front where the tire feels as if its slipping and skipping away from you on turning. Now when I had my winter 16” wheels on I did not get this so was curious at wether it was the larger 18” wheels or different tire make etc.
All my alignment has been done last week as I have fitted the Merc camber adjustment bolts to get the wheels sitting straighter. The tires skipped when the pressure was at 26psi up front and interestingly when I got to 32psi and above the tires stop skipping and operate fine on full lock.! This I think tells me that with the lower psi the tire has more ‘flex’ on the tread and possibly causes the skipping.?
So now my fronts have 34psi and for my rears I have them at 32psi as I have noticed that despite perfectly even wear across the tire, the middle seems to be a bit lower in tread. This normaly means that the tires are slightly over inflated, however I know that the wider tires like my 255’s have a natural tendency to wear in the middle as is common with BMW’s etc.
What feedback do you guys have on your tire pressure for my set up?
Thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 / E350 Coupe
Interesting on the full lock tire slip. I didn't think tire pressure could resolve that issue.
I run 36 all around. Have not studied my tire wear at all.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
CLK320
I had that problem when the toe in of the alignment is too much. When The toe is zero or less than factory spec it won't skip or bounce at full lock.