CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

430 CLK Steereo Systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2002 | 06:34 PM

2001 430 CLK
Angry 430 CLK Steereo Systems

I bought a 2001 430 CLK last May and have had problems with the stereo/antenna system. I liken it to a home stereo system that continuously fades back and forth between the "stereo" and "mono" settings because the reception fades in and out. The dealer has told me that there is nothing wrong with the stereo or antenna system. Has anyone else had or heard of any such problems? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-12-2002 | 07:29 PM

2000 Clk 430
I believe this is a common problem. I had mine in the shop 5 times before they figured it out. They replaced the back glass which houses the antenna.
My radio was worse when the rear defroster was on and the station was semi weak.
No problems since.
Good luck
Old 02-12-2002 | 08:05 PM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
I had that problem for a year and when I went in for Service A and complained about it, they replaced the radio. I suspect they just have more sensitive tuners now that compensate for the crappy antenna.
Old 02-13-2002 | 03:12 AM

2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
in other words, the stock stereo just plain sucks. i say again, its ridiculous what $50K will buy you these days...

B
Old 02-13-2002 | 11:12 AM

2001 430 CLK
That's what I suspected. They have already changed the radio with a "better" one but that didn't help. I've been pressing them to change the antenna system for months, since that is the obvious component to focus on, but they have refused so far.

I am meeting with the official, revered and very mystical "MercedsBenz Technician" for the region (which I have only heard about but never actually seen) this Friday to address the situation. I'm going to tell him that the "Boyz" said to replace the rear window antenna system.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2002 | 07:27 PM

2000 Clk 430
Replace the back glass and I know your problems will disapear!
Whenever my dealer can't find the problem they always call the MB tech center and usually they have the answer.
Old 02-13-2002 | 10:03 PM

I've had this problem for over 2 years. I have had the head unit replaced twice, the antenna amplifier replaced, and even the rear glass replaced. The problem persists.

I understand that someone had the same problem and changed the head unit from an Alpine to a Becker or vice versa. That solved the problem for them.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2002 | 11:39 AM

2001 430 CLK
They replaced the Becker head unit with an Alpine unit. Doesent appear to have done much good. I think the next step is to replace the rear window antenna. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 02-28-2002 | 04:33 PM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
My 55 is going back in again for radio work. The "new" radio sucks bigtime. Even the CD audio is muddy now whereas before, my FM just sucked. My service manager has been hounding me to give him good ratings on the mailed survey for my Service A visit two weeks back. If he doesn't get enough good ratings, he gets terminated. I'm using this leverage on my next visit.
Old 03-01-2002 | 03:17 PM

At least you have leverage. I have been hounding them for over two years and it's no better than the day the car was delivered.

Now I'm told: "Might be one of those things you'll just have to live with".
Old 03-02-2002 | 01:12 AM

2001 CLK320
A different dealer may help

Originally posted by A.Emgee
At least you have leverage. I have been hounding them for over two years and it's no better than the day the car was delivered.

Now I'm told: "Might be one of those things you'll just have to live with".
I have a 2001 CLK, and my radio reception works great - and I live in a very hilly area which is known for FM reception issues.

Others have posted problems that involve the backlight glass and the antenna amplifier.

The RF amplifier uses the defogger grid as the antenna. There is circuitry that blocks the 12 VDC from the radio ciruits - if there are flaws in the grid or amplifier (or bad grounds) this will have a negative effect on reception.

There's something wrong, and the shop isn't owning up to it. So it might benefit to have another dealer look into this, or getting the regional MB rep involved.
Old 03-20-2002 | 05:43 PM

2001 430 CLK
STRIKE TWO

They replaced the rear window and there is no improvement (previously they replaced the head unit from a becker to an alpine). Next step appears to be replacing the cable that connects the stereo to the antenna system and the antenna amplifier. If that doesent do any good, then I think I am going to have to live with it.

The services tech said that every single CLK that he has worked on has similar or worse problems with their radio systems. Can you believe that?
Old 11-18-2005 | 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by dibrgm
I bought a 2001 430 CLK last May and have had problems with the stereo/antenna system. I liken it to a home stereo system that continuously fades back and forth between the "stereo" and "mono" settings because the reception fades in and out. The dealer has told me that there is nothing wrong with the stereo or antenna system. Has anyone else had or heard of any such problems? Your thoughts are appreciated.
I am currently experiencing this as well. My windows were tinted (with non-metallic tint) last year, but I know the reception has been weak/problematic since Day 1. It never really bothered me that much, but I'm trying to drive the car a little more now and would like good reception.

Other than replacing the back glass (when has limited success from what I've read), has anyone discovered a decent fix for this? An alternate antenna?

Interestingly, I have no problem with AM reception, just the transitioning between FM mono and stereo. Other than that, the radio and CD changer work great.

Can I hide a radio antenna in the little antenna already on the roof?
Old 11-18-2005 | 05:06 PM

2000 Silver CLK430
I put an Audio 10 in my CLK and the reception is much better. I had heard this would improve it and was skeptical but it worked.
Attached Thumbnails 430 CLK Steereo Systems-e7_1_sbl.jpg  
Old 05-27-2006 | 09:34 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Wait a minute. I have been driving around going CRAZY because I keep hearing a speaker going "in and out". But I could never really pin point which speaker it was. Sometimes it sounded like it was front left, sometimes it sounded like it was front right....but maybe this is the "stereo- MONO" antenna problem. Now that I think about it, that must be it, because I always heard sound coming from the speaker I though was out...it just sounded slightly quieter and more muffled..... Has anyone had true success with a fix?? How much to replace rear glass??
Old 05-29-2006 | 09:49 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by bs00clk
I put an Audio 10 in my CLK and the reception is much better. I had heard this would improve it and was skeptical but it worked.
bs00clk, you have a 2000 also? I just popped a CD in today in the changer (in trunk) and pressed the CD button on the radio. It said 'No magazine'. Hmm...
I tried to take the magazine out but now, it won't come out. I've never liked trunk load changers anyway. How much is/was that dash head unit you show there and how much did it cost you to install?
Old 05-30-2006 | 01:34 AM

2000 Silver CLK430
Originally Posted by Whodat
bs00clk, you have a 2000 also? I just popped a CD in today in the changer (in trunk) and pressed the CD button on the radio. It said 'No magazine'. Hmm...
I tried to take the magazine out but now, it won't come out. I've never liked trunk load changers anyway. How much is/was that dash head unit you show there and how much did it cost you to install?
Yup, I've got a 2000. You can find these from about $250-$350 on Ebay. Install is a DIY and literally takes five minutes if you have the radio keys. You can connect this to your CD changer just like your factory head unit. Plus, the Audio 10 has RDS.

Here's a used one for the right price assuming it's as advertised: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...spagenameZWDVW
Old 05-30-2006 | 03:04 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Yup, I've got a 2000. You can find these from about $250-$350 on Ebay. Install is a DIY and literally takes five minutes if you have the radio keys. You can connect this to your CD changer just like your factory head unit. Plus, the Audio 10 has RDS.

Here's a used one for the right price assuming it's as advertised: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...spagenameZWDVW
5 minute DIY?! Hmm. So you can pop a single CD in this Audio 10 OR the CD changer in the trunk? Is there a button or switch that designate WHICH CD player will operate?
Old 05-30-2006 | 03:14 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet

BTW, thanks for that eBay link but I'm already skeptical. The seller claims it comes out of a 2000 E class. The picture shows a convertible. Didn't know MB made a convertible E class!
Old 05-30-2006 | 04:14 PM

'00 CLK430 & '08 Lexus RX 350
HOLY CRAP....all this time i thought I was hearing things!~!!
Wow...I'm getting this looked into for sure!

Thanks for posting!
Old 05-30-2006 | 09:52 PM

2000 Silver CLK430
Originally Posted by Whodat
5 minute DIY?! Hmm. So you can pop a single CD in this Audio 10 OR the CD changer in the trunk? Is there a button or switch that designate WHICH CD player will operate?
5 minute DIY with your eyes tied behind your head! It doesn't get any simpler than this one dude. The old radio is removed with the keys and then you unplug 5 total plugs (including antenna and fiber optic to CD changer), and then replug those into the new head unit. The part that takes the longest is putting the new radio code in.

The Audio 10 has a CD and a CDC button. CD is for the head unit single CD changer, CDC is for "CD changer" in the trunk. Just push the button for one that you want.

BTW, this unit fits in a lot of MB vehicles. I wouldn't worry about the pictures.

Last edited by bs00clk; 05-30-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2006 | 12:54 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
5 minute DIY with your eyes tied behind your head! It doesn't get any simpler than this one dude. The old radio is removed with the keys and then you unplug 5 total plugs (including antenna and fiber optic to CD changer), and then replug those into the new head unit. The part that takes the longest is putting the new radio code in.

The Audio 10 has a CD and a CDC button. CD is for the head unit single CD changer, CDC is for "CD changer" in the trunk. Just push the button for one that you want.

BTW, this unit fits in a lot of MB vehicles. I wouldn't worry about the pictures.
Eyes tied behind my head?! Good one!
Hey thanks man. I'm going to relay this to CLK430girl, who's looking into a simple swap out as well and we both may be pulling this one off. Dumb question but, how do you remove the old ray-deo?

BTW, Seattle is BEAUTIFUL country. I love that city.
Old 05-31-2006 | 10:40 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet

Hey, check the 5th picture down on the ad link off of eBay that you sent me: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...spagenameZWDVW

This is a pic of the back of the headunit. I don't see sockets for 5 plugs. I see what looks like a RCA plug on the far left that must be for the antenna, and another larger one. Does this look like what I should expect to you?

Last edited by Whodat; 05-31-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2006 | 12:05 AM

2000 Silver CLK430
Whodat: I'm not trying to be an *** here but you are making this WAY more complicated than necessary.

To answer your question: yes, that is exactly what you will see if you pull out your head unit. As you see in the pic, on the right side there are 3 harness plugs. In the middle is the fiber connection. On the left is the antenna. 3 + 1 + 1 = 5. Get yourself some radio keys and remove your head unit and you'll see what I'm talking about. Check this site out for more information http://www.perfectmarketaudio.com/