CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help with Top!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55
Help with Top!

Hoping someone can help me with this. I searched but didn't find anything that helped.

My 2002 convertible top was working fine. I let my buddy barrow the car and when he went to put the top up, he apparently didn't pull up on the switch for long enough (just guessing) as when he got out of the car it looked like the top wasn't all the way down in the back, so instead of using his common sense (and engineering degree!) and just getting back in the car and trying again with the button, he just pushed down on the back of the top to latch it, which it did, sort of.

But now the top is stuck in some malfunction. The light stays lit and from the look of it, neither of the rear latches (the one in the top or the one in the lid) are really latched. I think if I could get the top to unlatch, I could get it to work again.

Before I tear apart the trunk or pay a d(st)ealer a months income to do it for me, any hints on getting the mechanism to release???

thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 AM

2002 CLK55
I was able to figure it out. For future reference for anyone who finds themselves in the same situation or similar, where one or both of the rear latches is not latched all the way and the top will not function, the lining under the convertible top lid removes pretty easily by pulling out the reusable clips. The latch between the top and the lid was partially engaged, and to disengage it I had to remove the bolts that hold the mechanism to the lid and slide it over until it disengaged the latch. The hatch latch let go with a small pull. Then I had to fool around with positions of both the top and hatch for a while to get it all to a point where the vehicle would allow the top to start functioning again.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 AM

Mercedes CLK 320
Convertible Top Won't Go Down

I had the same problem, but was able to get it to relock by using the headrest button. However, now the top won't go down when I pull on the button. The button flashes red. I took it to a dealership and he told me the codes need to be reset. Is there any way to reset the codes without spending $100 for him to do it? I tried turning it on, turning wheel all the way to the left, all the way to the right and back to the center then turning it off and removing the key and restarting it. That didn't have any effect on lowering the top. I am not having any hydraulic problems and everything seems to be fine except before I used the headrest button, I disconnected the battery thinking I could reboot the system that way. If there's any way to reset the code for the top, I would be most appreciative.