CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Problems after change of battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320
Problems after change of battery

Good day to you all
I have a 99 clk 320, I went to start my vehicle this morning but discovered the battery was completly dead, I jump started the vehicle, it ran rough for a while but afterwards ran ok, I took the vehicle to the local workshop to check it over, they said the battery was toast, they installed a new battery, but now the vehicle runs like crap (similar to after it been jump started, but wont clear) rough idle, no power etc, does anyone have any ideas, do I need to do some sort of reset or clear or is something more serious? any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks to you all in advance
Mark
Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
You'll probably find that your air mass meter (AMM/MAF) is toast, the ecu was probably compensating for this but once you have had the dead battery the ecu has lost all of it's learnt values and now it can't relearn because there is such a difference instead of a progressive change.

Disconnect the air mass meter and restart it, if it's much better than replace the air mass meter.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:27 AM

clk 320
Thanks, I've tried that and there isn't much difference, only idles a little smoother, but I only unplugged it whilst running so I'll give it a go at unplugging and then restarting, thank you
Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 AM

clk 320
I tried unplugging and starting it from cold this morning, wouldn't fire with it unplugged, plugged it back in and it started but it still runs rough
Old 06-30-2011, 05:33 AM

clk 320
Went to speak with the owner of workshop, I told him I've been researching on these forums, he reckons forums are xxxx, I disagree has they have given me good info which I quoted when we spoke, he has now agreed to come around to my house to look at codes and see if he can clear then, I looked up about changing the battery and the relivant proceedure, I observed his mech whilst he changed my battery and noticed he connected the neg then pos which caused sparks, I now suspect something has been damaged but without this info from here I would have struggled to get him take a look, we will see what he has to say when he plugs in the code reader, thanks to all the people who have posted in the past :-)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:35 AM

clk 320
If anyone has futher advise please post :-)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 PM

clk 320
Thank you to all who has posted.

Hi all, I just wanted to say thanks to the people of this forum, due to the information I gathered on the forum I have managed to fix a problem on my vehicle without breaking the bank, basicly I cleaned up the MAF sensor by following some very helpfull and informative information,I also have a better understanding of how the ECU etc works which enabled me to solve a possable costly problem, thank you.