CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ABS problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320 2001
ABS problem

Hello everybody,

I have a CLK 320 2001 with an ABS problem.I've had it just over a year now and ever since I bought it I've had the ABS/BAS/ESP malfunction come on every time I drive the car.
Finally went to a Mercedes shop(not the Dealer) last week and after scanning the car the guy told me I need to change the ESP turn rate sensor and after I change it all the malfunctions will go away. He told me he has a second hand one for $400,seemed a bit too much so I started looking on my own to find cheaper one and I found a few for $150-200 on eBay.

Before I bought it thought I made the effort (and I am glad I did) to find out where the sensor is located and how hard is to be replaced. Well as you probably know it’s located in the trunk and it takes you 5 min to replace it (even though the mechanic wanted to charge me $80 just to replace it, kind of a rip off).I moved it a bit, disconnected it and connected it back and after that the ESP and BAS malfunctions are gone, but the ABS stayed on.
I tried turning the wheel full left and full right with no result.
So now since obviously I was bulls..ted by the mechanic (like it happens many times) I've decided to do the job myself as much as I can.

So basically I am looking for more info how to troubleshoot and find out what exactly is the problem with the ABS.I do not get any brake light on, only the ABS malfunction. The car runs perfect and hasn’t had any problems since I got it other than replacing the crank shaft position sensor, which by the way I did with the help of this forum.

I know there are a lot of guys here who are pretty knowledgeable and will give me the right info and help me figure it out
Old 07-08-2011, 12:15 PM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
When those malfunctions come up, first instinct on the board is to replace the brake light switch. It's a cheap part so if it doesn't work you didn't lose much. The fact that your brake lights aren't coming on makes me think there is a good chance the switch is the culprit. Go OEM...not worth saving the few bucks with aftermarket if it dies out quickly. Then do the steering wheel reset procedure.

Let us know how it goes. Also, get a new mechanic if he's gouging you that badly.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:55 PM

clk320 2001
Well I bought the brake light switch today,replaced it ,did the reset prosedure and there is no result.the moment I start the car the ABS malfunction comes on.Any other ideas?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:38 AM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Are you certain the brake switch is OEM?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:13 AM

clk320 2001
Yes I bought it from the mercedes dealer