CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Passenger Seat Won't Flip Forward

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430
Passenger Seat Won't Flip Forward

Hopefully a simple solution here, but I'm baffled a bit by the problem (and please forgive me, I'm a newbie W208 owner):

The driver's seat handle raises just fine, flips the seat back forward and actuates towards the front to allow passengers to hop in the rear seats. On the passenger side however, the handle raises fine, headrest retracts, but the seat back won't release/flip forward - which then prevents the rest of the seat from actuating towards the front of the car, which in turn does not allow for anyone to get in the rear seats from the passenger side.

Minor, I know - but nevertheless a small pita for me to have to get out of the car anyone is entering/exiting the rear seats. Any ideas on a release there may be? Place to look if the seat is stuck, etc?

And note, the seat moves in all directions just fine when someone is using the position motor controls, etc. It just won't flip forward and feels "locked" - like I may break it if I try to force it with an excessive force.

Thank you!!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
W208 CLK320
Seat

I had the same issue with my passangers seat, it ended up being one of the motor was fault. It would move the seat forward and back but the fold and retrack part did not work. I think it was the main or Middle motor cause there is 3 on the bottom of the seat frame. hope that helps.

Actually by re-reading your post it sounds like the release cable with-in the back rest area is broken and will not release the seat forward.

Last edited by device2; 07-14-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 AM

2002 CLK 430
Thank you - a release cable sounds more like where I'm stuck at! Now, any idea how to access it (I'm sure I can do a fix on my own so long as I can get to it)???
Old 07-19-2011, 01:47 AM

W208 CLK320
Try this site it has a parts breakdown..
http://partscatalog.ru/mercedes/1/ca...45Y/91/060/p/2
Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 PM

2003 CLK 320
I know this is old but I have the same problem seat won't flip forward but if I recline the seat back the latch will work then.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:28 PM

W208 CLK320
Retamn, I hope you were able to get your seat fix. It had been a while and I mean a while since I was active on the forum.
Anyhow, try this site for an illustrated parts break down if you have issues still.

http://www.mbpartsworld.com

Its my go to place when I try to order stuff or if I need a parts illustrated breakdown for disassembly.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:06 PM

w208 clk320
same problem

Originally Posted by achoren
Hopefully a simple solution here, but I'm baffled a bit by the problem (and please forgive me, I'm a newbie W208 owner):

The driver's seat handle raises just fine, flips the seat back forward and actuates towards the front to allow passengers to hop in the rear seats. On the passenger side however, the handle raises fine, headrest retracts, but the seat back won't release/flip forward - which then prevents the rest of the seat from actuating towards the front of the car, which in turn does not allow for anyone to get in the rear seats from the passenger side.

Minor, I know - but nevertheless a small pita for me to have to get out of the car anyone is entering/exiting the rear seats. Any ideas on a release there may be? Place to look if the seat is stuck, etc?

And note, the seat moves in all directions just fine when someone is using the position motor controls, etc. It just won't flip forward and feels "locked" - like I may break it if I try to force it with an excessive force.

Thank you!!
please tell me how did you solve your problem , i am facing the same one.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:05 AM

E-Class Coupe 220 AMG line edition
I’m having the same issue, I wonder if this is a common problem?

Within a year of having my coupe the chrome covering was coming off the passenger seat and slicing my fingers. The lever was also not as smooth in motion as the driver side so I took it back to the dealership.

They initially wanted to charge for the replacement tilt lever but ended up carrying out the works as goodwill.

This was back in Spring 2019, now at the start of Jan 2021 I find myself with the same issue again.

Seems very odd when the rear seats are rarely ever used?

Is anyone else still experiencing this?
Old 03-03-2021, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 430
Sitting in the back seat there are two cross head screws at the bottom of the seat back trim, after removing them you can move the bottom out towards the rear of the car, you need to keep a little bit of pressure towards the front of the car at the top to prevent you breaking the plastic lugs at the top of the trim. Remove the trim by moving it downwards. Once removed you should be able to see the two cables running to each seat hinge point. From memory they have adjusters which if your lucky might have come loose. Hope this helps.