Notices
CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HVAC Control Relocation

Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK55
HVAC Control Relocation

I wanted an aftermarket nav, but I think the stock location is slightly too low. I chose to get a flip out single din Clarion unit, relocat the HVAC controls, and install the deck in the stock radio location. I replaced the HVAC controls with a storage tray, and put the HVAC controls where the stock storage tray went. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails HVAC Control Relocation-imag0009.jpg   HVAC Control Relocation-imag0010.jpg   HVAC Control Relocation-imag0011.jpg   HVAC Control Relocation-imag0012.jpg  
Old 07-18-2011, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
That's awesome!!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 PM

2000 CLK 320
Very nice!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 AM

2001 clk 320
great work!!!!hey nj im from mass also and was wondering if you can tell me how you did it?is there a kit that i can purchase?does your steering wheel buttons still work with the nav?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 AM

2001 CLK55
There's no kit needed. All of the dash openings are standard single din sized, so no modification was necessary. I relocated the HVAC wires down low and the control unit snaps right into place, the radio fits in the slot with a standard single din cage to hold it in place, and I bought a generic single din storage tray for the top slot (the stock Mercedes storage tray only fits in the bottom).

The steering wheel buttons still work thanks to a pac swi interface box. MarcusF has put together a really helpful guide for wiring an aftermarket stereo:
http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/DIY/headunit2.html
Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK W208
I tought i post a pick too since i did this as well recently but a bit different. I replaced my stereo with a windows 7 car pc that i built and wanted the stationed double din and i always hated the location of the w208's stereo, so i moved my screen up and the climate control down and made a custom switch housing that houses my switches in a factory oem manner and is very stable and strong out of ABS plastic. it will be getting wrapped in carbon fiber along with the rest of my parts so this is just a teaser pick as my car is going through a major overhaul all the way from the body to 55 transplant.
Attached Thumbnails HVAC Control Relocation-img-20110719-00080.jpg  
Old 07-20-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
Man, that is sooo sweet!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:53 AM

2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by VIPclk320 View Post
I tought i post a pick too since i did this as well recently but a bit different. I replaced my stereo with a windows 7 car pc that i built and wanted the stationed double din and i always hated the location of the w208's stereo, so i moved my screen up and the climate control down and made a custom switch housing that houses my switches in a factory oem manner and is very stable and strong out of ABS plastic. it will be getting wrapped in carbon fiber along with the rest of my parts so this is just a teaser pick as my car is going through a major overhaul all the way from the body to 55 transplant.

That is pretty sweet. I'd love to transplant the buttons from up top to down low, but I have heated seats so it might be tight with the extra buttons. Any idea where I might find a piece of burlwood trim (big enough to fit the single din slot) I could use to make that section match everything else?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by njgilligan View Post
That is pretty sweet. I'd love to transplant the buttons from up top to down low, but I have heated seats so it might be tight with the extra buttons. Any idea where I might find a piece of burlwood trim (big enough to fit the single din slot) I could use to make that section match everything else?
LOL, that is funny how you mentioned the heated seats because i had the exacty same issue but what i did was i took the module for the heated seats apart and extended the wirinng to the ****er area and i purchased a shifter area wood piece from a convertible clk because they have two extra switch opening for the rear windows as they roll up and down on the verts and i just put the heated switches on those and use the other two openings for the back shade and the esp but you also have to purchase the SRS switch/light from a convertible because they have smaller brackets and they are different than the hard top ones, dont ask me how i know all this stuff lol. Ive literally taken this car apart and put it back together. hope that helped. as for the wood grain for a double din, the one in my picture is the original wood piece but i cut it remolded it with fiberglass to fit the double din.

Last edited by VIPclk320; 07-20-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 AM

2001 CLK55
That sounds like a great solution, I think the shifter panel would be a better location for the heated seat buttons anyway.

I bought a new cell phone recently, and was looking at some of the android tablets, so now you've got me thinking...
Old 07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Originally Posted by njgilligan View Post
That sounds like a great solution, I think the shifter panel would be a better location for the heated seat buttons anyway.

I bought a new cell phone recently, and was looking at some of the android tablets, so now you've got me thinking...

Thats always and option but trust me if you are going to do a in car pc, do a full blown PC you will ne much happier. I built mine with an intel motherboard, two hard drives (one solid state for operating system and one reghular for all the files) 4gb of ram bluetooth, wifi and windows 7 ultimate along with a car smart power supply which starts and hibernates the pc with ignition. and i'm running centrafuse front end for car pc that has NAV, bluettoth hands free and built in EQ. and i fit all that in a small box behind my dash with two fans keeping it cool. and it sounds fantastic and i am running all factory Bose sound system from the wiring to the amp to the speakers since i was never a fan of crazy sound systems. I can go on explorer, do skype video chat chek my e-mails everything. The best source to get info on how to build one is MP3car.com.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:15 PM

Mercedes clk w208
Help

Hello

I also want to relocte the u it because i hate the position

I have the same. Issua with the heated seats how dit you exted the wire and fitted the buttons beacuase the are attached to each other

Thank you