CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

clk convertible top light stays on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 clk 320 convertible
clk convertible top light stays on

i have a 2000 clk 320 conv. recently the red light on the top control stays on when the top is up. i can open and close the top and when i open the top the light goes off and things work normal, but when its closed that darn light stays on and blinks and i get the alarm going off and i cant open the trunk without having to use the key. anyone have any suggestions before i go to the dealer and get punished lol i was thinking it may be a sensor in the locking latch in the front since the rear lock seems to work fine when the top is down. this all started after i had to change one of the relays for the top 5 months ago.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
I have the same problem on a 99 cab. Whats even worse is if I hit a bump or drive on a uneven surface all the windows will roll down as if the top is getting ready to go back. It's very annoying especially when you have the a/c blowing and it's 119 degrees outside.

I searched and couldn't find much on the issue
Old 07-25-2011, 10:01 PM

15' W222
bump
Old 07-31-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 430
Once you have the top up, press and hold the button to lower the "roll bars"/heads rests. See if that helps.

I had this problem ONCE while trying to put my top up at a red light that turned green shortly after I got my ride. The light turned green I jumped the gun and thought that the top was done and it wasnt.

I was pulling my hair out as the alarm was going off and the back window was NOT fully locked into place. I checked this forum and no one really had an idea.

I finally went back out to my car and started pushing buttons. I pushed and held the lower roll bar and for what ever reason the window locked into place and the alarm went off.

Never had the problem again.

Its a shot in the dark, but let me know if this happens to help you.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:18 PM

2000 clk 320 convertible
thanks for the response but i tried that a few times before and it did help for a while but now it seems to just stay on whenthe top is up and the alarm goes off as soon as i start to roll i may have to break down and take it to dealer lol
Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 CLK 230K
Originally Posted by trudawg
I have the same problem on a 99 cab. Whats even worse is if I hit a bump or drive on a uneven surface all the windows will roll down as if the top is getting ready to go back. It's very annoying especially when you have the a/c blowing and it's 119 degrees outside.

I searched and couldn't find much on the issue
Good day my friend, have you yet resolved the problem your having as i am having the same problem. If i hit a pot hole or go over a speed bump too fast or drive on uneven road all four windows rolldown by themselves...Does anyone have the slightest idea what could cause this..HELP!! all input is appreciated. *1999 CLK 230K Cab*
Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 AM

CLK 230 Kompressor CONVERTIBLE
I have the same Damned problem, and I still have not found How to fix the problem.
I can not open the trunk when the roof closed
I think the problem is in the cylinder retalning bow(s.n. 2088000172) and in the switch
top drive (s.n 2088202310) Adjacent to cylinder.
If someone help us to fix this problem or any ideas how to solve the problem
I very thank him very much.
Please help us

Last edited by ozyael; 06-27-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 PM

15' W222
Originally Posted by ChenZheng
Good day my friend, have you yet resolved the problem your having as i am having the same problem. If i hit a pot hole or go over a speed bump too fast or drive on uneven road all four windows rolldown by themselves...Does anyone have the slightest idea what could cause this..HELP!! all input is appreciated. *1999 CLK 230K Cab*

Na, man I'm still having the same problems and have just learned to live with it since there doesn't seem to be a solution listed anywhere online. I pay particular care to how I pull into a driveway or parking lot, lol.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 CLK 230K
Originally Posted by trudawg
Na, man I'm still having the same problems and have just learned to live with it since there doesn't seem to be a solution listed anywhere online. I pay particular care to how I pull into a driveway or parking lot, lol.
Thanks for the input man....I'm clueless as to where to even begin solving the problem. lol i'll try going through the boot this weekend to see if any wires are shorting out or something but anything significant i'd be sure to let you know. IF any other person who has had a problem with all four windows rolling down by themselves and has found a solution FEEL FREE to comment. Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 PM

15' W222
Good luck, and be sure to report back.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 PM

Convertible top alarm and trunk wont open

I have this same issue, and I took my car to a reputable MB service organization to get it fixed. They had my car for two days and changed a number of parts, the total cost was $1,200 USD. The problem is now worse, and it happens all the time, everytime I get in the car. I took it back to the service centre and they gave me all sorts of excuses, and that it is a wiring issue but they cant say where it is. They claim that it may take days or weeks to find, and likely up to thousands of dollars more in labor and parts. I left feeling that they did not have any idea how to fix it. The car is not worth that much money, I am literally having to decide to scrap my car because of a problem that renders it undrivable, the alarm just does not stop...

If there is anyone that can help, please let us know, even a small amount of information may help point us in the right direction !! thanks

Tony
Old 09-22-2012, 08:03 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Thumbs up micro switch or wiring problem - you can do it!

Originally Posted by Tony Mudie
I have this same issue, and I took my car to a reputable MB service organization to get it fixed. They had my car for two days and changed a number of parts, the total cost was $1,200 USD. The problem is now worse, and it happens all the time, everytime I get in the car. I took it back to the service centre and they gave me all sorts of excuses, and that it is a wiring issue but they cant say where it is. They claim that it may take days or weeks to find, and likely up to thousands of dollars more in labor and parts. I left feeling that they did not have any idea how to fix it. The car is not worth that much money, I am literally having to decide to scrap my car because of a problem that renders it undrivable, the alarm just does not stop...

If there is anyone that can help, please let us know, even a small amount of information may help point us in the right direction !! thanks

Tony

Tony,

please let us know which parts have been changed, so that we can eliminate them. Without knowing any more details, I would first steer towards the wires going to the rear bow lock assembly, or those going to the case cover lock assembly. They are known to cause trouble on occasion.

I hope I'm not getting you off track with a wild guess. The alarm goes off when the top is not appearing fully locked to the soft top controller, so you likely have a problem in a micro switch or in a wire going thereto. Chances are that the shop has already replaced the parts that could have a bad micro switch. Thus, you might be down to following the wires from the two soft top lock assemblies down the wiring harness a few feet. The following DIY guide is a bit of an overkill for your project, but it should get you an idea of what I mean by the locking assembly, and it shows you how to get to them...

Hope this helps, and looking forward to your updates,

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
I would try checking for chafing of the wires around the switch and the switch itself. If the windows are dropping, it sounds like the process is being initiated via a short. You'll get the alarm anytime your moving above a walking pace and you try and initiate operation. Pull the trim and look to make sure the harness from the switch hasnt been pinched
Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2001 CLK 430 cab
I hope someone can help. I have a 2001 cabrio. My top is up and normally functions properly. Recently the light on the top switch and the roll bar switch came on and stay on. Even after I shut the car off and back on the lights stay on. The problem is that the top won't activate, all windows are inop, the outside mirrors don't operate, and I'm stuck with it. So far I have replaced the relay on the pump, taken apart the locking handle to find out it has seperated at the spring and won't go back together properly but does still work as I put it back together but without the tension of the spring. Also I tried disconnecting the battery to reset. That worked one time but the second time it didn't work and I was locked out my trunk until it mysteriously started working again which I'm thankful for because my golf clubs were in there :-) I don't know what my computer is thinking that this would be happening. Maybe that the trunk is not shut properly. Normally when you turn the handle to release the top latch the lights come on and you pull the switch to open the windows go down and then the top moves. I know all the systems work when they do so they are OK.the other night I drove for an hour and the lights went out and the windows and everything worked. I parked in the garage over night and when I got in the next morning the lights were on again and nothing worked again. Here's the question , is there a switch that the locking hooks on the top touch or push on to activate the switch light?and are there other relays associated with this top that I don't know about and where are they? Sorry this is so long but please someone help. Thanks all in advance.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:44 PM

2001clk430
I think I know

I have a 2001 clk440 my top was operating slowly, after pulling all the carpets up in the trunk I found a hydraulic fluid leak coming from the top piston ( located on the underside of the top lip) the top and trunk both operated perfectly, i replaced the top piston assembly and refilled the fluid, it took less than sn hour to complete, after i got everything back together and ran a few tests I found the I now have the top up and locked but the light stays on and when the car drives the light blinks and the trunk only opens now when the top is down, the piston i replaced was rebuilt but the mechenism wasnt, I would say that the little switch on the side of the piston mech is to blame, give me a few days to replace the mech switch to see if thats it, im thinking it is
Old 10-22-2016, 06:08 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
micro switch in the rear bow lock 1247700426 or bad wire

TDeStefano,

welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting. If you can open the trunk with the top down, but not with the top up, then the signal is not getting to the computer that the rear bow is latched. (For newbies: the rear bow is the section of the soft top that has the rear window in it.) The rear bow is latched by the rear bow lock p/n 1247700426 (official MB p/n is A124 770 04 26). The cylinder that you had rebuilt is p/n 1298001672 (official MB p/n is A129 800 16 72). The rear bow lock's micro switch is electrically closed when the rear bow lock is latched. Actually, the switch gets released when the rear bow is latched, but it is a "normally closed" switch that closes an electric circuit when it is released.

Either the small metal lever which triggers the switch got bent, or the rear bow lock was not re-connected to the wiring harness, or the wires from the rear bow lock to the controller got damaged. The latter is quite common, and it is not at all your fault. The wires are routed along the right case cover (storage cover) hinge, down to the controller. They tend to fail where they get flexed a lot when the top gets actuated. Simply unwrap the cloth tape from the harness in the area where the wires get flexed during top operation, and look for a frayed wire.

Hope this helps, and please let us know what you find...

Klaus

Location of your A208/W208 CLK-Class Cabriolet Hydraulics

Originally Posted by TDeStefano
I have a 2001 clk440 my top was operating slowly, after pulling all the carpets up in the trunk I found a hydraulic fluid leak coming from the top piston ( located on the underside of the top lip) the top and trunk both operated perfectly, i replaced the top piston assembly and refilled the fluid, it took less than sn hour to complete, after i got everything back together and ran a few tests I found the I now have the top up and locked but the light stays on and when the car drives the light blinks and the trunk only opens now when the top is down, the piston i replaced was rebuilt but the mechenism wasnt, I would say that the little switch on the side of the piston mech is to blame, give me a few days to replace the mech switch to see if thats it, im thinking it is
The following 2 users liked this post by Top Hydraulics:
Gee333 (11-04-2022), jstrider (04-18-2022)
Old 10-23-2016, 04:48 PM

2001clk430
Fixed

Thanks Klaus,
problem solved, maybe this can end the problem, The problem was the switch on the mech, my top is working perfectly, the trunk opens when the top is up/down the red light is off, this took me approx 20-30 minutes to swap out the switch, if you have to diy you should take out the back panel and check the hydraulic fluid reservior,
Old 10-24-2016, 11:32 PM

2001 CLK 430 Convertible
Switch on mech

Originally Posted by TDeStefano
Thanks Klaus,
problem solved, maybe this can end the problem, The problem was the switch on the mech, my top is working perfectly, the trunk opens when the top is up/down the red light is off, this took me approx 20-30 minutes to swap out the switch, if you have to diy you should take out the back panel and check the hydraulic fluid reservior,

I have a 2001 CLK 430 and have the problem that is listed above which I think is different. It has been getting colder here and intermintedly my roll bar and convertible top switch would stay on after starting. When on I could not roll down the windows are put the top down. After driving for like 20m or so the lights would turn off and I could lower the windows and/or put the top down. Yesterday it was cold and rainy and today when I left the roll bar and convertible top switch stayed on. Went to work, when driving home turned on again and stayed on. I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on this and/or if I need to manually put the top down and dig into the components outlined above.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 AM

clk200 convertable
I have 2002 clk convertable The roof switch in the car glows red permanently and the windows do not operate. The roof does not operate either, if i remove the negative terminal from the battery and flash it a couple of times then put it back on , everything works again. i.e the red light goes out the windows operate corectly and the roof opens and closes as it should. However overnight the whole situation starts again. Red light on windows and roof not working until i flash the battery again. Anybody had this and anybody got the answer. Desperate.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by BungalowBill
I have 2002 clk convertable The roof switch in the car glows red permanently and the windows do not operate. The roof does not operate either, if i remove the negative terminal from the battery and flash it a couple of times then put it back on , everything works again. i.e the red light goes out the windows operate corectly and the roof opens and closes as it should. However overnight the whole situation starts again. Red light on windows and roof not working until i flash the battery again. Anybody had this and anybody got the answer. Desperate.
See attached thumbnail.
Attached Thumbnails clk convertible top light stays on-s84lamp.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Gee333 (11-04-2022)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:15 PM

2001 CLK 430 Convertible
My issue may have been the same

Originally Posted by Serndipity
See attached thumbnail.
I have a clk 430 2001. Top switch and roll bar switch lit up and stayed on. Windows only worked with key and side mirrors did not adjust. I received a lot of input and ended up taking off the cover of top motor mechanism in the trunk and replaced the relay. Now everything is working
Old 05-23-2020, 03:27 PM

clk230 a208
shackelton

Hi have the same problem but i found out in the boot on the right behind the pump cover is an bunch off earths if you remove them and re fit my windows will work and the roof trouble is park car up go to it in the morning hold the unlock button on the fob down all windows go down start car and the ruddy roof switch light up again going to get a sparky to look at it and will keep up to date p:s if you do the earth thing you dont have to re code the radio or esp
good look removing the tin cover in the boot for a merc its totaly over engineered
Old 05-23-2020, 03:29 PM

clk230 a208
hi where was the relay you changed please i have same problem many thanks
Old 10-01-2020, 03:49 AM

W202s C43 Amg Estate , R129 500SL Amg, W124 320E Sportsline R107 SL 420 , Pagoda sl230,
roof up will noy open

Hi Guys

i have a w208 320 kinda jumping on the w209 thread, sorry for the intrusion

problem a hood that remains in the closed position

with engine running

turn the handle and release the hood, all windows go down

rear headrests down ( no red lights~ on console)

the rook operational light button is red , with ignition on.

when pressed it goes off there is a click from the boot ?

then nada

have replaced the roof ecu

have replaced the roof pump

swapped the relays over ( fuel pump to hood pump)

confirmed relays work fine either way round

luggage cover relay, swapped and bridged , no effect on operation

once again sorry for hijacking the thread

any pearls of wisdom

Old 05-30-2021, 10:27 AM

2002 Clk 430 mercedes convertible
I have same problem please help

Originally Posted by tjanoski
I have a clk 430 2001. Top switch and roll bar switch lit up and stayed on. Windows only worked with key and side mirrors did not adjust. I received a lot of input and ended up taking off the cover of top motor mechanism in the trunk and replaced the relay. Now everything is working
my 2002 CLK430 is doing the same thing. Only when I disconnect battery will conv top and roll bar lights go out as well as windows work again. Do you have a drawing of where the switch is I need to change. Thank you
loosing my mind

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clk convertible top light stays on