CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

PAC SOEM-4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430
PAC SOEM-4

My radio has been slightly on the fritz as of late so I'm finally going to install an aftermarket head unit, with all the SWI-CAN2 stuff.

I'm having a little trouble figuring out the details on this PAC SOEM-4 converter though. It seems to me like I could skip the SOEM-4 converter if the head unit I buy has pre-amp out... except for the fact that the base unit is balanced and most head units aren't. But if the DAC isn't balanced I don't see what that's going to buy me.

In other words, what'm I getting out of the SOEM-4 if my head unit has pre-amp outs?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 AM

2002 CLK 430
Well I'm installed and running, with the SOEM-4 converter in place.

I'm just going to put a few notes here in case any future folks stumble on this thread.

1) I used the SOEM-4 because it did all the conversions from the Head Unit to the AMP. I could've wired them up directly obviosly, but I could not directly wire the 4watt RCA outs on the HU to the Amp... only the high gains, so the $19 SOEM-4 was a reasonable approach.

2) The wire harness supplied by crutchfield had one problem. The switch on for the head unit had no input from the car. I ended up using the accessory remote on from the SWI-CANBUS system to tell the head unit when the car was powered on, and it works just fine now.

3) It's a freaking tight fit after you jam in the two SWI boxes and the SOEM-4 but it all does squeeze in there.

Good luck to anyone who tries the same effort, and most importantly don't be discourage by the plethora of internet folks who tell you that you can't do it because there's a fiber-optic connection between the head unit and the amp. The fiber connection in my car ONLY connected the changer, so it wasn't an issue... except that I lost the changer I guess.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:04 PM

clk 430
SOEM4 ??

Where did u find a SOEM4 for $19? I wired a DD H unit straight, hard wire thinking it would work, but no oomph from rear speakers. I've done some reading and think I do need this part to balance the signals because of the Bose system. Not doing the whole stereo swap, just the Head Unit. I HAVE A 2000 CLK430, SO HOLLA BACK.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM

2002 CLK 430
Crutchfield... I don't know if I mistyped the price two years ago, or if it's just gone up, but looks like $29.99 now.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SOEM...oem-4&skipvs=T