CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Water repellent for convertible top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
Unhappy Water repellent for convertible top

Hope all is well guys..... In VA, its been raining for the past 5 days non stop and very very heavy down pouring and flooding everywhere.(ridiculous)
What is the best water repellent for my convertible top???
i looked and searched under search and could not come up with anything.
water is leaking on top of my head and my passenger side as well...its seems i lost the repellent on my top or something.... its not ripped or anything. water is not leaking from the side or where the top closes by the dome light.
if u are sitting in the car and u put your hand under the cover from the inside, its soaked and dripping wet

My friend works at the ferrari/lambo dealer and asked me to come there once my top is dry so he can spray it for me.. (what they use on lambo and ferrari)
but im curious what do we use for our car???
im getting irritated and i have a massive plastic cover on top of my car now

first time ever i get a prob with my car since i had it.

Thank u for any help or an advice u may give me.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 AM

'99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
I have not heard of a water repellent for the canvas top but I have heard of people spraying the weatherstrip with silicon spray and it helping seal the places where the top meets the frame, if that is where it is leaking from
Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank u for replying but where the top meets the frame, it does not leak. It's on top of my head and the passanger side. Both Seats were wet and water on the seats

Last edited by big_mike1979; 09-09-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold 2003 CLK 500,2003 SL 500,2006 Acura MDX,1998 BMW M3 convertible
hey bro i found this on google hope it helps ?

link :http://www.sewfineproducts.com/cleaning.pdf
Old 09-09-2011, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jbenz99
hey bro i found this on google hope it helps ?

link :http://www.sewfineproducts.com/cleaning.pdf
Thank u bro. I read that earlier and regarding raggtopp but
Some people were saying it's not as good as the BMW repellent.
So I'm not sure which one to get. Stressing over this.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold 2003 CLK 500,2003 SL 500,2006 Acura MDX,1998 BMW M3 convertible
Originally Posted by big_mike1979
Thank u bro. I read that earlier and regarding raggtopp but
Some people were saying it's not as good as the BMW repellent.
So I'm not sure which one to get. Stressing over this.
I feel you bro !!! I wish I had the answer !!!TRY TO get some good quality band like 3m cloth and vinyl water repellent spay !!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Search for and call the 303 Protectant people. This stuff is used in marine and Military environments. Their engineers can point you in the right direction.

Italians cars leak? Not possible!

Originally Posted by big_mike1979
Hope all is well guys..... In VA, its been raining for the past 5 days non stop and very very heavy down pouring and flooding everywhere.(ridiculous)
What is the best water repellent for my convertible top???
i looked and searched under search and could not come up with anything.
water is leaking on top of my head and my passenger side as well...its seems i lost the repellent on my top or something.... its not ripped or anything. water is not leaking from the side or where the top closes by the dome light.
if u are sitting in the car and u put your hand under the cover from the inside, its soaked and dripping wet

My friend works at the ferrari/lambo dealer and asked me to come there once my top is dry so he can spray it for me.. (what they use on lambo and ferrari)
but im curious what do we use for our car???
im getting irritated and i have a massive plastic cover on top of my car now

first time ever i get a prob with my car since i had it.

Thank u for any help or an advice u may give me.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 FIAT Abarth 500
So I exclusively use the Raggtop kit for my top and I actually think it works pretty great. Kit comes with the spray on cleaner and the protectant aerosol -- I would really advise you get a very high quality horse hair or boar's hair brush. Don't skimp on this because brushes stiffer than these can start to eff up the top.

The cleaner works well...I've had bird bombs and smashed insect guts and as long as you don't let these things bake on the top (re: less than a couple of days) and use the cleaner with the brush, you're good to go. I've never had anything stain the top as of yet, but of course, you must be very prompt in washing it off as soon as possible. Remember, when brushing, go with the grain of the top (i.e. front to back, back to front...not side to side). It's also great because the cleaner is very gentle on paint, so you can clean the top while washing the whole car. I usually go like this: spray down top well with water → spray cleaner on and let it soak for ~10 mins. → clean wheels and tires → brush down top and rest of car → rinse

I can't say anything too bad about the protectant...my top still looks pretty much brand new for being an 8 year old car. It is water repellent and resists UV fading. Obviously, if it's downpouring then it can only do so much and that goes for pretty much any product. But if it's a moderate rainstorm, then it will repel the water. I will say this though...it's in an aerosol can, so it's best to use the protectant in a garage or when there's very, very little wind. Wipe overspray immediately from anything other than the top (glass, paint, rubber strips) using a microfiber towel.

I usually clean the top and spray the protectant on every 3 months or so. First application, I would use 2-3 coats of the protectant. After that, one coat is enough if you keep up on it. Make sure you buy the fabric kit, not the vinyl kit. Also, it's worth mentioning that Raggtop is endorsed by Haartz, who is the manufacturer of most OEM convertible tops (incl. Benz).
Old 09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jbenz99
I feel you bro !!! I wish I had the answer !!!TRY TO get some good quality band like 3m cloth and vinyl water repellent spay !!
thank you bro

Originally Posted by grane
Search for and call the 303 Protectant people. This stuff is used in marine and Military environments. Their engineers can point you in the right direction.

Italians cars leak? Not possible!
thank u again

Originally Posted by twinsin
So I exclusively use the Raggtop kit for my top and I actually think it works pretty great. Kit comes with the spray on cleaner and the protectant aerosol -- I would really advise you get a very high quality horse hair or boar's hair brush. Don't skimp on this because brushes stiffer than these can start to eff up the top.

The cleaner works well...I've had bird bombs and smashed insect guts and as long as you don't let these things bake on the top (re: less than a couple of days) and use the cleaner with the brush, you're good to go. I've never had anything stain the top as of yet, but of course, you must be very prompt in washing it off as soon as possible. Remember, when brushing, go with the grain of the top (i.e. front to back, back to front...not side to side). It's also great because the cleaner is very gentle on paint, so you can clean the top while washing the whole car. I usually go like this: spray down top well with water → spray cleaner on and let it soak for ~10 mins. → clean wheels and tires → brush down top and rest of car → rinse

I can't say anything too bad about the protectant...my top still looks pretty much brand new for being an 8 year old car. It is water repellent and resists UV fading. Obviously, if it's downpouring then it can only do so much and that goes for pretty much any product. But if it's a moderate rainstorm, then it will repel the water. I will say this though...it's in an aerosol can, so it's best to use the protectant in a garage or when there's very, very little wind. Wipe overspray immediately from anything other than the top (glass, paint, rubber strips) using a microfiber towel.

I usually clean the top and spray the protectant on every 3 months or so. First application, I would use 2-3 coats of the protectant. After that, one coat is enough if you keep up on it. Make sure you buy the fabric kit, not the vinyl kit. Also, it's worth mentioning that Raggtop is endorsed by Haartz, who is the manufacturer of most OEM convertible tops (incl. Benz).
im gonna get my car done at the ferrari delaership then ordering the raggtop and do it every 2 months or so.
thank u for the explanation and is what i needed.
ty
Old 09-12-2011, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i did my car at the lambo dealer and im very happy.. and i ordered the raggtopp so i can do it once every 5 months.. ty guys.