CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Differential Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Rear Differential Question

Looking for a Rear Diff for my CLK320. I've emailed Quaife but they have a mechanical question that I can't answer.

Does the CLK320 come with item #6 listed in the attached picture?

=================
Dear Jimmy,

I regrest we don't have an application for this car. I cannot be 100% sure, since we don't have complete access to Mercedes EPC datacards for this car. But it seems that you have an early model version, which has driveshafts with CV joints at each end. The later model comes with a one-piece shaft, with no bolted input shaft flange on the final drive. It could be worth you checking, though.

Attached is a pic of the two arrangements.

If you have item 6, then I think we can help further.

Regards, Kevin Bird
=================
QDF7V Mercedes C32 AMG 00-07MY Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential
Attached Thumbnails Rear Differential Question-diff.jpg  

Last edited by Williams707; 09-10-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I don't believe that they are going to have one for you, I just spent a ton of time with a few guys working on getting one for my 500. The 208 320 did not come with the 'large' diff housing so I'm pretty sure they aren't gong to have one that's going to work.

If you can find a salvage 208 55 diff the. You can swap it in and get a LSD working for you. It's not a huge deal of work for the swap since the pumpkin actually needs to be dropped to have the LSD installed.

You planning on pouring enough HP out of that 320 to take advantage of a full LSD?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
Originally Posted by Kevwood
I don't believe that they are going to have one for you, I just spent a ton of time with a few guys working on getting one for my 500. The 208 320 did not come with the 'large' diff housing so I'm pretty sure they aren't gong to have one that's going to work.

If you can find a salvage 208 55 diff the. You can swap it in and get a LSD working for you. It's not a huge deal of work for the swap since the pumpkin actually needs to be dropped to have the LSD installed.

You planning on pouring enough HP out of that 320 to take advantage of a full LSD?
Thanks for the info. Problem I'm having is with the performance mods that I've done now my ESP goes of allot. Figured getting a LSD will provide me with power to both wheels eliminating that. If anything wouldn't a C32 diff be better?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
i completly agree with kev, the 320 doesnt make nearly enough power to justify an LSD, so it wouldnt be worthed brother, it will just be a waste of money. You always have the option that Kev mentioned but you will be going backwards, Because if you had a 430 or a 500 that would be great(take a 55 housing and drop the LSD in) but like i mentioned in our previouse conversations, the 320 diff has a much tighter gearing than the 430 and the 55, which makes it accelerate quicker to somewhat compensate for the lack of low end power, if you drop a an lsd thats is for the 55 or the 430 all you are doing is just slowing down your acceleration because you are going with bigger gears. also the speed sensors are going to be all over the place. do a 32k Swap and call it a day.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
Originally Posted by VIPclk320
i completly agree with kev, the 320 doesnt make nearly enough power to justify an LSD, so it wouldnt be worthed brother, it will just be a waste of money. You always have the option that Kev mentioned but you will be going backwards, Because if you had a 430 or a 500 that would be great(take a 55 housing and drop the LSD in) but like i mentioned in our previouse conversations, the 320 diff has a much tighter gearing than the 430 and the 55, which makes it accelerate quicker to somewhat compensate for the lack of low end power, if you drop a an lsd thats is for the 55 or the 430 all you are doing is just slowing down your acceleration because you are going with bigger gears. also the speed sensors are going to be all over the place. do a 32k Swap and call it a day.
Thanks Boss!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by Williams707
Thanks for the info. Problem I'm having is with the performance mods that I've done now my ESP goes of allot. Figured getting a LSD will provide me with power to both wheels eliminating that. If anything wouldn't a C32 diff be better?
With my car in stock form the ESP was a bother, with all my NA mods the ESP is now a major pain in the *** - I just turn it off all the time now. In the facelifted 500's the ESP is a 2 step like in the 55AMG's, when 'on' it cuts engine power and applies brakes to the spinning wheel (electronic phantom LSD), with the ESP 'off', it doesn't cut the engine power but still applies the brakes back and forth, far better but still not great. If I wasn't pounding tons of Kleemann mods onto the car I would have just left it as is but now a LSD is pretty vital. Power you cant plant is usless.

I'm not familiar with the ESP on your 208, can you turn it off? Oh, I noticed you were also talking to Bird's about the Quaife, that's also who I went to first, Kev was a really great guy to deal with but unfortunately the USD to GBP conversion killed the deal (I ge paid in USD here) and I went State side for it - Jerry@Eurocharged came through like a champ

Originally Posted by VIPclk320
Well said pal.