CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Lose weight, slim down suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:05 PM
hkh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk230 k cabriolet w208
Lose weight, slim down suggestions?

Any suggestions to efficiently strip weight from a 230k convertible to gain performance and economy?

Replace electric seats with manual?

The car seems unnecessarily heavy and although this was an original attraction for me, I'm now looking to enhance it. Love the car though.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
The cab is 400lbs heavier than the coupe because the body has to be more heavily steel reinforced to prevent body torque(because there is no roof as a part of the steel structure) when cornering and the hardware and convertible mechanism adds more weight as well. If you have a 230 you are barking at the moon if you think you can get any better economy and performance by removing a couple of electric seat motors. You would have to gut the interior to get more weight reduction of any consequence. Besides, there is no manual seat mechanism available that I am aware of to allow you to adjust your seats by hand. Spend some money on a underdrive crank shaft pulley and an underdrive pulley kit to get more out of your compressor. Look for a tuner to maximze your ECU settings as well.