CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Follow up on water in the footwell Very Important advice!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clk 230k 6-speed cabriolet
Follow up on water in the footwell Very Important advice!!

Hi all,

Follow up to what's happened with my CLK and also some very important information and advice.

A couple of months or so ago my CLK cab was filled up with water behind the drivers seat in the footwell. I posted in this forum to see if anyone could help or advise me but after getting 400 or more views I didn't receive a single reply.

Since then I've had my car in the garage on 2 occasions for the CEL lighting up on the dashboard and both times it being a fault relating to the 2nd O2 sensor.
The problem being that the plug socket for the O2 sensor is directly under the drivers seat (or maybe passenger seat on LHD) and because the car had leaked water in it had flooded the socket for the sensor and shorted the signal out. 1st time in the garage the sensor was replaced at a cost of £230 inc. labour (as the sensor was totally goosed) and 2nd time just to reset it because it had got water in the socket again.
I'd unblocked the drain plug in the air intake under the bonnet and also the drain holes where the roof cover at the rear is but the water still seemed to come in and also the right sill seemed to hold water in it if not parked on the level (front end higher) and then on the level all the water would run out the front of the sill.
In the end I had to remove the seats, remove the carpet (which contained about 10 pints of water in the foam backing) and fully dry everything out. I then found on here somewhere about the draing plugs at the rear of the sills (little rectangular shaped plastic bung about 4" up from the rear wheel in the underside of the sill. I removed these on both sides only to find both of them caked up with solid mud and dirt, the drivers side severely bunged up. I flushed all the dirt out of the sills, cleaned the drain plugs and refit and since then everything in the car is bone dry and all seems well.

Just wanted to spread the news as I don't think it's common knowledge about these sill plugs getting bunged up and also about the O2 sensor shorting out due to water in the socket.

After my garage had completed all the work refitting a new sensor and resetting the CEL twice it can to a tidy sum of £250 all because of various drain hole and plugs being blocked.

So I just wanted to spread the word and hopefully save my fellow forum members the hassle (and cost) I've been through for the last 3 months.

Regards, Alex.