CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2001 W208 CLK-430 Cabrio Rollbars / Headrests Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK430 Cabriolet, 2002 ML320
2001 W208 CLK-430 Cabrio Rollbars / Headrests Failure

While opening the soft top as the top cover was closing my rear seat rollbars / headrests deployed "in slow motion." I say "slow motion" because it took about 2 seconds as the latches clanged on the gears - click - click - click - click. Not the instant deployment from an accident, catching air from a bump, etc.

The rollbars / headrests will no go back down. I've tried the procedure outlined in the owner's manual: hold the rollbars / headrests switch in the UP direction for ~8 seconds until you hear a clang and then lower the rollbars / headrests. There is never a clang.

I took the car to the dealership and they had the car for most of the day.

Their conclusion is that the Headrest Clamp Assembly for the rollbars / headrests (part number 208 860 0032) has failed. Estimated cost for repair is $6864USD. In that cost is only 2.5 hours of labor. The rest is the part.

The cynic in me says that they couldn't find the problem so are suggesting that the whole thing be replaced. On the other hand, the car is only worth maybe $8k-9k (wholesale) so they have to know that a $7k repair is not going to happen.

They did not charge me for the diagnostics. They did suggest that I try to find a used one somewhere (and even named a company in the area to contact).

Essentially what they said is this: something caused the rollbar to deploy and it went beyond the normal limit. It cannot be pushed back down far enough to engage the retraction mechanism. Essentially they are saying that the springs at the bottom (that deploy the rollbar during accident, etc) are putting so much tension on the locking gear that it is slipping. This kind of makes sense because when I squished the rollbar back down it would slowly redeploy once any activity involving the rollbars occurred (activating the soft top or the roll bar switch). It would redeploy with a click-click-click-click that I mentioned at the beginning of this post.

Now I do accept that it is possible that they honestly believe that this diagnosis is accurate, but that they might be wrong.

Anyone have any thoughts? I saw them hook it up to Star Diagnostics. Suspicious items were for S84/16 SOFT TOP BOW LOCKED LIMIT SWITCH and I think the other one was S84/5 SOFT TOP COMPARTMENT COVER OPEN LIMIT SWITCH. However, these don't seem to be related to the rollbar functions.

Anyone know where I might find this part from a salvage yard? Or perhaps I should buy a total loss CLK cabrio from which to get the part?

Last edited by TriscuiT; 10-27-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 PM

2010 E550, 02 CLK55 Cabrio - sold
I think you need to find a 'indy' that is trusted by your local Mercedes (or other German car) club, and get a 2nd opinion. Diagnosis sounds suspicious and the cost quoted is unbelievable to me. Surely, some local Mercedes enthusiast can point you in the right direction toward a mechanic that is both honest and reasonably priced. Or do like me, and start 'taking it apart'.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:01 AM

2010 E550, 02 CLK55 Cabrio - sold
I did a google for ya:
http://www.gws-mbca.org/

Oh, and I would not go to the next mechanic and say "the dealership said it would cost $6449", because that might temp him to say "well, I can do it for $4000". That kind of thing permeates the industry. Thats why I fix everything myself. Or if I can't, I get quotes from others who have had the same issue fixed. Your problem sounds rare though. Hope it does not happen to me anytime soon.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 AM

Well, I have a happy ending to this long story.

I found the rollbar mechanism at a salvage yard in Dallas. Has it shipped via Greyhound (yes, they do shipping). Dealership removed the old one, installed the new one, and made sure that everything was syncing properly with the soft top operation. Everything is now working as designed. $500 for the rollbar (shipped). About $300 for the labor at the dealership. I am feeling very lucky.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK430 Cabrio
What Salvage Yard.

Hey Triscuit, i am having exact same problem and got same $$$$response from Stealer. do you have the contact info for that salvage yard?

actually - do you happen to have the old roll bar? i only need a small bright brass actuator off it to fix mine i now see ( now that i have taken it all apart)

top drivers side - one that moves the spring assembly in and out - there are 2, one on either side. if you do let me know and ill send a picture of the exact one - would be happy to pay you for it of course

thanks in advance

Last edited by joetwa; 08-04-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM

I got the rollbar from this guy.

I do still have the failed rollbar. I think that the part to which you are referring might be what failed on mine. A picture would certainly help me tell though.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
Originally Posted by TriscuiT
Well, I have a happy ending to this long story.

I found the rollbar mechanism at a salvage yard in Dallas. Has it shipped via Greyhound (yes, they do shipping). Dealership removed the old one, installed the new one, and made sure that everything was syncing properly with the soft top operation. Everything is now working as designed. $500 for the rollbar (shipped). About $300 for the labor at the dealership. I am feeling very lucky.
nice!