CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Test drove CLK 430 and M3 back to back

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E350
I'm not sure if you'd like them but the Carlsson 2/5 looks great on the CLK or any Mercedes for that matter. I'm attaching a pic below.

I really love the Monoblock look on the CLK. I am looking for a set of 18" Chrome for my 430.

If you decide to sell yours after you purchase rims, post them in the classified section.
Attached Thumbnails Test drove CLK 430 and M3 back to back-rims.jpg  
Old 06-25-2003, 09:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55
Thanks Eleni

Those are right up the alley of what I am looking for. I am going to research the price etc.

BTW: I will be taking pictures this weekend. I will be sure to post some.

I welcome any other recommendations. I want to have as many options as possible.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350, S320, Mini Cooper S
Re: Thanks Eleni

Originally posted by Dely
Those are right up the alley of what I am looking for. I am going to research the price etc.

BTW: I will be taking pictures this weekend. I will be sure to post some.

I welcome any other recommendations. I want to have as many options as possible.
Please do post pictures. How about Brabus Monoblock V? I've seen some CLK with that and they looks great.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:46 PM

Read sig
Re: Test drove CLK 430 and M3 back to back

Originally posted by Dely
Hello again folks,

I had a E-36 M3 for 6 years which I loved. I have also been driving BMW for 10 years. To say I am biased would be an understatement. I only decided to look at the CLK 430 after the M3 engine troubles.

Now for the good stuff.

A salesperson I have been working with at my local Mercedes dealership called me to let me know he had a 2001 CLK 430 that just came in. I informed him that I had changed my mind and I was going to get another M3. I decided to check the car out anyway out of courtesy.

I went down and saw the car. BEAUTIFUL! It was black with gray leather interior and a slight light blue tint that accentuates the interior. Love the performance. Took it up to 120 and thought I was doing 80.

We got back to the dealership and I told him I loved the car, but I can't get over the non-stick factor and I was going to go with the M.

This dealership has a BMW branch across the street. He suggested since I just drove the CLK why don't I go across the street and drive the M3 and see how I feel after. Prior to this I have never driven the E-46 M3.

WELL I DID and I like the CLK better.

Speed
M3 wins. The car is faster, but you have to WIND that engine to get the optimal torque range of 5-8 RPMS

Engine Sound
CLK all the way. The 8 cylinder sounds a smooth as butter. So sweeeeeeet. The M has a high winding sound that can be annoying at times.

Torque
CLK wins and in some ways the car feels faster than the M3 because of this. I know the M is faster, but the torque makes the CLK feel like a contender.

Interior.
CLK hands down. The car just looks classy inside and feels rich. The M has a nice interior, but the CLK will make the ladies go OOOOOH.

Exterior
CLK wins. I know this purely personal opinion, but the w208 CLK is one of the best looking cars out there. The M is nice looking, but the commonality of the 3 series minimizes the looks somewhat. The W208 CLK still maintains that Mystique even after 7 years on the market.

Stereo
If you need to ask then you have never heard the stereo in both cars. People complain about the Bose in the CLK, but the HK system SUCKS.

Appeal factor

The dealerships are on a street where they had a concert tonight and I had to drive both cars by a crowd of people. The CLK wins hand down. There was a lot more people drooling over the CLK. It didn't hurt that I saw much more ladies drooling over the CLK. The M drew some looks, but mostly after some guys saw the quad exhaust (distinguishing factor).

You now have a new convert. I WILL be buying a CLK for my next car. Bye bye M.

I am going to sleep on it because I am still trying to decide between the CLK430 and the CLK55. I have never driven a CLK55, but if it is much faster, DAMN DAMN DAMN
Is the 5-7K difference worth it?

Sorry for the ranting. I am just excited.
of course the MB wins because it was posted here on mbworld.some of you guys hate bimmers so of course you'll put them down.....
Old 07-01-2003, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Test drove CLK 430 and M3 back to back

Originally posted by PiNoYBaLLeR
of course the MB wins because it was posted here on mbworld.some of you guys hate bimmers so of course you'll put them down.....
That's very true, if the same question was posted on BMW forums the replies would favorite the M3. Personally I would take the M3, its fast and the price is very reasonable, a little too many of them on the street in Cali though.

-Bruce
Old 07-03-2003, 02:04 AM

Read sig
Re: Re: Re: Test drove CLK 430 and M3 back to back

Originally posted by LowRydeR
That's very true, if the same question was posted on BMW forums the replies would favorite the M3. Personally I would take the M3, its fast and the price is very reasonable, a little too many of them on the street in Cali though.

-Bruce
Old 07-03-2003, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350, S320, Mini Cooper S

-Bruce
you are right about this, i might have gotten the M3 if it came out 2 years earlier. I still love my car a lot though.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:06 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter

-Bruce
I would say that the M3's price is reasonable if you compare it with the CLK55 or the CLK500 which base around the same price as the M3. The S4 still has the most reasonable price out of all three German sports compact car. C32 & M3 will be around the same price if you opt them with similar amount of options.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E350
I definitely have to agree with FrankW on the S4. It is definitely the most reasonably priced German car for its power. We had an S4 that we just sold and while I wasn't too crazy on how similar the body was to an A4 the power was up there and it was a fun car to drive. And I must say the style of the interior and console beat the Mercedes and BMW unless you have the command and navigation system in your benz.

But given all of that, I still would never trade my CLK for an S4 or an M3 for that matter.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
As a previous S4 Owner...

I had a 2001 S4 that I bought in Sept 2000. I drove it for over 50,000 miles and modded it with the basics (Oettinger Exhaust, ABT Filter, Eibach suspension kit and 18" BBS RXII wheels). It was a 6-speed.
The car was great, had all the cool technical features, but lacked character and guts. The CLK 430 has much more character is more well-balanced and has MUCH BETTER Top-end pull.
The small turbos on the S4 seemed to ALWAYS run out of steam at 80 mph, 5K RPM. The V8 430 has a lot more top-end pull and I love it!
I don't miss my S4. It was a great car, I got it when there weren't as many punks driving Audis and VWs and it was very unique. However, Mercedes is just in a different league. I don't get jack@sses in A4s and GTIs revving me all the time and I have access to tuners such as Lorinser, Brabus, Kleemann and Carlsson to name a few.
Just my $.02
Old 07-03-2003, 09:45 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by ELENI
I definitely have to agree with FrankW on the S4. It is definitely the most reasonably priced German car for its power. We had an S4 that we just sold and while I wasn't too crazy on how similar the body was to an A4 the power was up there and it was a fun car to drive. And I must say the style of the interior and console beat the Mercedes and BMW unless you have the command and navigation system in your benz.

But given all of that, I still would never trade my CLK for an S4 or an M3 for that matter.
when you love your car, you sure won't let it go...that's for sure. When I got my 328Ci back in 2000, I could've gotten the S4 at the same price, but I still went for the 328Ci. I wouldn't change a bit if you want me to pick again.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:49 PM

2001 CLK430
My last car was an 01 S4, 6 speed with an APR chip. With the chip that car was VERY fast, but IMO lacked character. I agree with ELENI that it looks just too much like the A4. The interior was very nice, but I still prefer the 430's.
The ONLY thing I miss about the S4 is the Audi community. My neighbor has a K04 modded S4 and we attended Audi GTG's often. There are also lots more tuners and the prices are more reasonable....
Old 07-04-2003, 04:29 AM

No longer car shopping...
Talking Dely - If your still in the market mine is avail

Dely - Noticed you may be looking for a CLK55 for around what I am willing to sell mine for. I've PM'd you so take a look and give me a call if your interested.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:38 PM

CLK, all the way!

I've owned an M3 and a CLK and here's my two cents...
I've always felt like the quality of Mercedes' was better than the BMW's... that said, sadly, I don't know if that is the case any more.
The reason I like the CLK more is that it is a more comfortable, less punishing car to live with. The M3 is an amazing car, but, it lacks the "grand touring" nature of the CLK which seems to me to be the perfect combination of sport and comfort.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Quick question, what did you think about the handling of both? Body lean / roll, hard braking, etc., since you drove them back to back. I totally agree that the MBZ (208) is a classy, desireable design compared to the E46. No doubt it is a looker.

BTW - Well put Joesclk430cab. Well put.

Last edited by ldangeli; 07-19-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by ELENI

Don't trade it in, get them both. Now I only drive the CLK430 on the weekends, as it is a head-turner, relaxing drive. With the addition of my 04' S4 to the stable recently, it is a definite drivers car. I have owned BMW, Audi, Benz, and soon to be porsche. The difference in the 01' (last production year of the later body style) and 04' is astonishing. Power, handling, braking, what a difference. I think the CLK (208) still wins in Style, elegance and grace hands down. But I personally don't like the slushy feel of a non manual gear box and cruse suspension. IMHO
Old 07-19-2004, 08:33 PM

Handling Comparison-

To me, the CLK dosen't feel really "balanced" when pushed hard. It feels front heavy to me. Almost like a "plowing" sensation. The M3 feels more balanced when pushed. That said, the CLK has an enormous amount of grip and very little body roll. It'll get you there when you are on it, but at nine-tenths for me is is way less satisfying to drive.

The reason I drive a CLK is that it is way more enjoyable to me to drive at one-tenths, two-tenths, three-tenths, etc.

Also, the CLK 430 (I'm a sucker for the body work on the 430) cabriolet is absolutely one of the most beautiful automobiles on earth. Especially in black!
Old 07-19-2004, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Talking

It's funny you say that. I feel the same way. But that is a matter of opinion I guess. I have argued this point many a times, and all I can say is I drive everyone of my cars as hard as I can and the MBZ is the only one that has gone through 3 sets of front's and 1 set of rears. Strange to me.. Granted you can't rotate the tires like other cars, but I haven't been able to do that since I started driving higher end german cars. It has always felt like the MBZ slides or pushes through the turns. Great example is it was once asked on this forum why at slow speeds the front end of the clk tends to hop or vibrate through turns. I have always wondered that myself.

:p
Old 11-29-2004, 01:05 AM

CLK 430
I donno, I like both. As long as they look good and perform to my satisfaction, I'll do either. (get your minds out of the gutter, I was talking about the cars) (haHa)

-Manyoohoo
Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 PM

99 CLK 430
CLK 430 higher mileage

I have a higher mile 99 clk 430 and it has been a real headturner. I love the way it looks and its aggresive yet classy stance never gets old to me. My dilema is the miles on it.. I too was thinking of getting a 05 clk 500 or maybe a 04 m3. I can only afford one nice car in my family so since my wife will be driving it too I have to get an auto.....That's ok to me. My problem is I like the body style of the older clk and I really dont want to part with it, however do you all feel it would be the most logical thing to do because of the mileage/headaches that will certainly begin to happen any day. I don't like driving like a grandma just because Im afraid of something major happening to the car.....
Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 PM

^^^ You just replied to a 4 year old thread.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Jays_Z
^^^ You just replied to a 4 year old thread.
5 year old thread............
Old 05-17-2008, 10:04 AM

2006 CLK 350 Fog City, CA, USA
Thumbs up even 6 yrs old and counting....

... and what all has been said above is still TRUE today....

The Bimmer is like a quick roll in the Hay, a one night stand .. like a Hooke!!

The Mercedes is classy, the one you take home to Mom!

Also all the girls I've talked to said they prefer the Mercedes...

Don't know if it is true or not but heard that about 60% of BMW's are leased, which is maybe why there is so many of them running around... while the Mercedes are generally bought and owned.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
yeah i love my BENZ two of my good friends drive M3's and yeah there fun for the day driving hard, but as a daily they really suck try flooring it in the wrong gear on the highway and you go nowhere fast. i love my car but should have held for a 55! wow this is an old tread
Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 PM

CLK430

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Test drove CLK 430 and M3 back to back