CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

V1 Installation HELP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 06:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face V1 Installation HELP?

I gave up my 02 Boxster for an 03 CLK 430 Cab. and need help finding a suitable power source for my V1. Please give me any information you can?

Thank You!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
There is a good power source behind the dome lights.
It's a grey wire with a red stripe. I have detailed instructions in MS Power Point if you want them,
Tim
Old 06-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

I would love them

But I do not have powerpoint, how di I get to the wire. And how do I run power without the bulky mess
Old 06-15-2003, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Here's directions without pictures,

Installation of a Radar Detector can be a daunting task.
This DIY (Do It Yourself) should make it easier.
(Attempt this at your own risk)

You should position the Radar Detector so that the front and rear are clear of any obstacles,

Note:
Using these wiring instructions the Radar Detector will come on after you pull out the key and stay on for a few seconds. You will hear it when you exit the vehicle. Do not worry it will shut off shortly

(Caution: Be sure the key in out of the ignition when you install the Radar Detector.)

I mounted my radar detector on the left side of the mirror using the standard mounting suction cups. (They really do work, even though they are not the best looking)

Here’s a picture of the Radar Detector mounted:

The first step is to remove both lenses from the center dome light. Just pull on and edge they will come off easily.

There are two clips on the rear of the lights. Use a small thin screwdriver to push in each clip and pull down on the light assembly. The will expose the overhead wiring.

Let the light assembly hang down while you access the wires.

Locate the Grey Wire with the Red Strip on it (This wire is hot when you turn on the ignition)

Use the quick connection supplied with your Radar Detector.

Connect the Red wire (Hot Wire) from your Radar Detector to the Grey wire with the a Red Strip.

Connect the Black wire (Ground) to a grounding point.

Push all the excess wire to one side or the other.

Run the connection past the microphone under the headliner out to your Radar Detector.
This is a picture from the bottom of the Radar Detector showing the wire routing under the head liner

Put the Light assembly back in place. Mount your Radar Detector to the windshield (Windscreen) using the suction cups. Plug in the connection wire.

Start your car turn on your Radar Detector and your done.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Thank You

Thanks for the information. I located the wire. However a few notes. On the Cabriolet, I have to unscrew the overhead assembley and the grey/red wire is in a cloth housing which needs to be cut away. I may even have to drill for a ground. Question, it sounds like the hot wire is connected directly to the lights. Is this true.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Re: Thank You

Originally posted by Pilot711
Thanks for the information. I located the wire. However a few notes. On the Cabriolet, I have to unscrew the overhead assembley and the grey/red wire is in a cloth housing which needs to be cut away. I may even have to drill for a ground. Question, it sounds like the hot wire is connected directly to the lights. Is this true.
There should be a bolt on the right hand side that is what I used for the ground.
The wire is for the Sunroof (in coupes), which you have a much larger one than I do.
I would test the power and ground with a volt meter with the key in the on position (You should get 12VDC (Volts Direct Currant)). If you don't have a volt meter hook up the hot wire (grey and Red) to the red wire on your V1 and the black wire to a metal part .
Turn the key on and off see if the V1 goes on and off.
(using the grey and red wire will cause the the V1 to turn off and on, twice before it finally goes off).
Hope this helps,
Tim
Old 06-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With pictures, courtesy of Timster:
http://www.evosport.com/tech/clk_w208_v1.doc

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2003, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450