CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Is it safe to wash the engine? and where/how?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 CLK320
Unhappy Is it safe to wash the engine? and where/how?

I need to wash the engine because I have an oil leak (from underneath the oil filter) which is probably coming from the oil cooler, anyways I need to wash the engine to find where it is specifically coming from, but everyone is telling me it is not good to wash the engine, I am afraid to do it myself or take it somewhere to get it done. Has anybody done this?
I have uploaded images to where the engine needs to be cleaned:
http://imageshack.us/g/836/wp000089y.jpg/

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 320
ya just buy some engine brite from auto zone. i usually just cover up the alternator with a plastic bag. spray engine brite, let it do its job for about 5-10min. then wash away with stream of water. keep water to a minimum, just enough to wash the dirt and grime. then remove bag and start engine up. also make sure u do this on a COLD engine only
Old 03-07-2012, 04:56 PM

1998 CLK320
Originally Posted by krayzie_e99
ya just buy some engine brite from auto zone. i usually just cover up the alternator with a plastic bag. spray engine brite, let it do its job for about 5-10min. then wash away with stream of water. keep water to a minimum, just enough to wash the dirt and grime. then remove bag and start engine up. also make sure u do this on a COLD engine only
Thanks for the quick response, is it better to keep the engine off for a while before starting it again? and what else do I need to cover besides the alternator? are there any sensors might be damaged? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Get a can of Gunk engine de-greaser.
Have your engine warmed up.
Park your car some place where the crap and splash off won't wreck the lawn/driveway/etc., and/or park the car on a plastic tarp.
Squirt the engine with Gunk while it is still warm.
Let the engine cool for about 1 Hr.
Squirt it with Gunk again.
Wait about 10 minutes.
Hit it with a hose.
Clean up.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
If Gunk degreaser is going to kill your lawn, small animals and children what is it going to do to rubber hoses etc?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 CLK 320
I use Simple Green. It’s safe for the environment and works great. Remove the black MB cover and warm the engine just a little, not hot and spray the simple green all over then rinse with water. By the way your oil leak looks like it's coming from the valve cover. This is a easy fix and I believe there is a do it yourself on this forum. If you don't want to tackle it yourself it cost about 150 to have it done.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Wow... youve been leaking for a while! I dont have any experience with simple green, but with what your washing off... i also wouldnt worry bout enviromental impact. As stated.. that is gonna make a heck of a mess so be ready for the oil slick. Kitty litter, oil absorb mats... do whatever you can do to try and collect the oil. Around here, if the city sees that going down the drain your troubles are just begining. I preferr the foaming type degreasers because they seem to get the underside of areas and really loosen things up. I agree with a warm engine because heat will help the process but HOT will evaporate the product before it can do its work.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
If Gunk degreaser is going to kill your lawn, small animals and children what is it going to do to rubber hoses etc?
You can't be serious ?

Gunk degreaser has been in the market for at least 40 years, and people have been using it to clean engines for at least 40 years. It's the #1 product on the market for cleaning engines. Never heard of it ?

You'd better get out the smelling salts for this one. Try to subdue your panic for a second, and put on your thinking cap. Gasoline and oil and brake fluid and power steering fluid and antifreeze will "kill your lawn, small animals and children", and guess what, they all go through rubber hoses.

Marry a tree, but don't fret about the hoses, wires, etc.

The following is for educational purposes only--Warning do not eat or drink this, or bathe your offspring in it, or baste a turkey with it, or use it as eye wash, etc., etc., etc.,:

http://www.gunk.com/products/cat_det.asp

Last edited by Pancho; 03-08-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 PM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Looks like you have oil on the subframe forward of the engine. If coming from a valve cover, then not likely to migrate forward. The fan and wind would blow it backwards from its origin. I think your leak is ahead of the engine. Oil cooler sounds about right. I might have the oil cooler confused with the trans cooler (on a 4.3L), but, as I recall, the cooler hose is linked to the reservoir with a banjo fitting. The reservoir is plastic, so, to tighten the banjo, you will need to fit a wrench onto the base flats of the seat for the bolt, then another wrench on the bolt itself. Use the wrench on the base to keep the base from turning against the plastic reservoir, or else you will break the plastic boss and that spells disaster. So, keep the base in place with a wrench, while tightening the bolt with another wrench.

I had a sloppy leak that originated from the oil filter cannister. Seems the big O-ring for the screw top got bound up and tore. Might check that too.

Here's a reseal I did on the vent cover that might help.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...lve-cover.html

Last edited by Pancho; 03-08-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
You can't be serious ?

Originally Posted by Pancho
You can't be serious ?

Gunk degreaser has been in the market for at least 40 years, and people have been using it to clean engines for at least 40 years. It's the #1 product on the market for cleaning engines. Never heard of it ?

You'd better get out the smelling salts for this one. Try to subdue your panic for a second, and put on your thinking cap. Gasoline and oil and brake fluid and power steering fluid and antifreeze will "kill your lawn, small animals and children", and guess what, they all go through rubber hoses.

Marry a tree, but don't fret about the hoses, wires, etc.

The following is for educational purposes only--Warning do not eat or drink this, or bathe your offspring in it, or baste a turkey with it, or use it as eye wash, etc., etc., etc.,:

http://www.gunk.com/products/cat_det.asp
Of course I'm not serious.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 PM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
Of course I'm not serious.
You got me. Well done.