CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Boot Locked Jammed - One Method

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK Cabriolet 320
Boot Locked Jammed - One Method

Hi There,

Its my first post,

I thought I'd share what I've learnt with my 1 month old CLK , as when I was having problems and searching the internet the posters who had the issues never replied what fixed it,

A few weeks ago the hood relay failed we manually opened the roof but didn't fully secure it and it then won't let us open the boot, and while the key would go in the lock it won't turn, I found a really useful link it was on a another MBforum which showed the lock in pictures, so I don't think I can link to it (if I can please let me know and I will), but I followed the instructions and it worked so I take no credit.....

Basically every 10 mins for a hour sprayed wd40 pushing the tube right to the end (5 sec) and using a rag so it doesn't escape, then the electric toothbrush to vibrate (if this made any difference I don't know) after about 2 hrs and at the point of giving up I had one last go pushed the lock in a couple of mm and it turned and opened,

You have to just persist at it,

I don't think brute force opens it its the jiggling, the the bit that's seized is past the barrel and up hill,

My next job is to lube it so it never jams again,
Old 03-31-2012, 04:10 PM

2001 CLK430, 1987 560 Sec
That shows a lot of patience, good description. My only comment is you don't want to use WD40 or any other kind of oil in locks because it turns gummy after time and holds dirt. That will speed up the lock jamming again. Always use graphite lock lube, it's available in any hardware store. It comes out as a liquid but the liquid itself evaporates away quickly leaving the graphite to coat the internals. It's also messy so don't wear light colored clothes, it stains and won't wash out. Ask me how I know that...

I would squirt some denatured alcohol, or some other solvent that completely evaporates with no residue into the lock to wash out the oil and then put the graphite in and you should be good to go.

Bob
Old 04-02-2012, 04:08 AM

1999 CLK Cabriolet 320
Hi Bob, That's great thanks for the added advice,