CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

clk 320 roof wont work

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 clk320
CLK320 Roof won't go up.

Thanks for your replies, my trouble shooting skills are very limited, I want to go back to the basic to start from there by replacing those two clips that hold the apron thing up and I just have a feeling that switch has something to do with my problems, either way each should be cheap to replace once I find out what they are called and where i can get them. (and the relay by the pump). This site sure has helped avoid the dealer.

I took the car out yesterday to go to a Celebration of Life service and mysteriously the roll bars worked fine. Since the weather is bad I dared not mess with anything else until I replace the other parts.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Dennis,

Go back a read post #75. It posted incomplete and I have since added a couple of suggestions that may be related to your power roof operation.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by dennisspeaks
Thanks for your replies, my trouble shooting skills are very limited, I want to go back to the basic to start from there by replacing those two clips that hold the apron thing up and I just have a feeling that switch has something to do with my problems, either way each should be cheap to replace once I find out what they are called and where i can get them. (and the relay by the pump). This site sure has helped avoid the dealer.

I took the car out yesterday to go to a Celebration of Life service and mysteriously the roll bars worked fine. Since the weather is bad I dared not mess with anything else until I replace the other parts.
The voltage arcing created by the operation of the relay will cause the contacts to erode and become rough. This compromises the contact surface area and makes it very susceptible to moisture related failure. Relays can be had for $6-$60 depending if you go to the dealer or your local parts counter.

I know the clips your talking about and sure the local dealership should be able to locate for you. In the meantime, any type of small clamp should be able to override the luggage cover safety switch on the passenger side. Just make sure whatever you choose is secure. If it pops off mid-operation you could be in for a real treat with your top stuck in a less than desirable stopping point!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:18 PM

2000 clk320
CLK320 Roof won't go up.

Thanks for the additional info. We have been having frigid temperatures, cold enuf that it takes your breath away, since I don't have a heated garage, it is on hold, I will definitely check out your recommendations.

Thanks a ton!

Dennis
Old 12-04-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK 320 Cabriolet
CLK 320 hydraulics

Originally Posted by gary450sl
hi ya ive just got a 320clk cabrio and i cant get the roof to work has anyone any ideas where to start looking for faults also the roll over bar does not work. when i press the roll bar swith it just clicks thats it please help me if you can

First I want to tell everyone, that the pump and relays lay behind a metal plate at the front of the trunk. You need to remove the carpet and about 25 bolts to get to it all. You will find that there really are only 3 things that tend to go wrong. First, if your trunk cover is not fully in place, you will not get the top to work. It is a fault stopping that.

With the roll bar locked in the up position, you will see that you can not get the top to clear the head rest,o it is stuck in either the up or down position. This presents a problem getting to that plate I described. There is another way though.

If you remove the rear seats and the base speaker you can reach in to the filler cap on the hydraulic tank itself. Using a small funnel and tubing, you can fill it from the back seat then. Now you have hydraulic fluid. If the latch was leaking, it needs replaced first or it keeps emptying the tank. When you have replaced it, and refilled the tank, you need to run the roll bar up (even if up already) and hold for 20 seconds. That resets the relay itself. Now they should retract. If not, the first relay next to the pump most likely has failed.

If the top is fully automatic and uses a switch, there is no manual over ride to release. It is a lot of work, but doable. Check for leaks first as that is usually the thing unless it is just the boot cover not fully in position.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:43 AM

2000 clk320
Clips that hold the boot in (W208 Clk320) place part# needed and where to buy them

I am missing one of the clips that hold the boot up. Can someone please tell me what these are called, the part number and where to get them. Thanks.

Dennis
Old 04-19-2015, 05:15 PM

clk320
missing clips

Originally Posted by dennisspeaks
I am missing one of the clips that hold the boot up. Can someone please tell me what these are called, the part number and where to get them. Thanks.

Dennis
Hi Dennis

I presume you are referring to the tray that isolates the hood storage area from the rest of the boot storage area.

I had a similar problem with one broken clip.

I do know what they are called, but decided to make one myself.

I took a piece of hard plastic, cut it to the approximate shape and used my wife's hair dryer to heat it and bend it into shape. I used a pair of clamps with flat blades to hold the plastic whilst heating it (these are generally used to hold 2 pieces of metal together when welding and are similar to Mole grips - pliers will do the same job) as the plastic becomes very hot. I bent the plastic back on itself to enable it to fit over the metal stay, as I could not replicate the original clip that has **** on it to fit in the rectangular hole.

After a little bit of fiddling I had a clip that was similar to the original. Ten minutes with a pair of cutters and a file and I had it to shape.

So far, it is holding and I am happy.

If your microswitch is not closing, try taping it with duct tape in the closed position.

Hope this helps.

Austinat
Old 04-19-2015, 05:29 PM

clk320
Hi Klaus and Serndipity

Thanks for your advice and good wishes.

I have now put the car back on the road after laying it up over winter.

The hood now works exactly as it should i.e. after opening the hood clamp, the roll bars and windows drop. Pressing the "opening hood" switch initiates full hood operation. When hood is down the chime rings - re-pushing the hood button allows the roll bars to go up and the windows to close.

Any more problems, I know where to come. Thanks guys!.

In the meantime, my son has just bought an MGTF convertible.....

Originally Posted by Top Hydraulics
Austinat,

congrats on getting the top working again! I don't own a CLK, but have been told that the owner's manual describes a procedure where manually moving and latching the top "reteaches" the soft top controller that all is well again. This probably applies when the controller has accumulated error codes before.

Replacing the relay should not make a difference with respect to roll bars moving automatically with the top, unless there was a problem with the controller that has resolved itself.

Some relays simply fail with time, and others fail because the electric motor on the pump is drawing more current than it used to. Keep an eye on the system - if you find it slowing down, then the pump motor may be on its way out. Don't mean to scare you, just want you to be alert about the system for a while.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/23-w208-clk
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/w...ulic-pump.html

Component locations of your cabriolet hydraulics
Old 06-19-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
Thanks for the writeup. This is one of the clearest, best illustrated procedures I've read in my many years of working on cars. I've checked my hydraulic fluid as per your instructions and it's low. I'll flush and replenish the system as per your writeup.

Originally Posted by Top Hydraulics
Congratulations, that was quick...

Aha! You may have two separate problems, but let's see what happens after relay replacement and fluid fill. IMPORTANT: you must fix the leak in your system, or you are jeopardizing the pump again. A low fluid level means that you have a hydraulic fluid leak somewhere, and it is very likely from at least one of the seven hydraulic cylinders in your convertible top system. Usually, the first ones to leak are the Rear Bow Lock Cylinder and the Case Cover Lock Cylinder. Both are fairly easy to remove, and you can send them in to Top Hydraulics with the locks attached or without, or you can even do a "core exchange" where we send you the cylinders or the cylinders already mounted in their locks before you send us back yours for a refund of core deposit: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/23-w208-clk

Here is a link to a diagram showing you the location of all hydraulic top cylinders (with photos and part numbers): http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/diagrams/CLKdiagram.jpg

No problem.

Fluid in the $20's/quart; you need one quart. The relay is a fairly standard part, so I assume it's in the same ball park or less.

Please keep us posted!

Klaus