CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

REALLY need some help guys! Differential?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
REALLY need some help guys! Differential?

Guys...I've got a MAJOR issue! I'll start off with the problem first: 2000 CLK 430.

I've been getting this "clicking" and almost what sounds like "whooing" suspension sounds, but it is NOT the suspension components by any means...

Now...when I first drive the car after it has sat overnight, forward/reverse everything is fine. Tight driving, normal. After I make my 20 mi. drive to work on the highway, the car is now pretty "heated up." I can then put the car in reverse and that's when the "clicking," "whooing" sound starts and it is coming from the rear end somewhere. It almost sounds like it's coming from the somewhere in the rear wheels/hubs...

Not me or my independent mechanic can find the problem. When it is put on the lift, nothing from the suspension is loose. The clicking can only be heard when the car is driving.

I'm telling you I just replaced all of the wheel bearings (front and rear), all of the control arms in the rear, parking brake, 2 new rear axles and NOTHING!!! The clicking is still there.

Once again this only starts happening once I drive the car for a good while and really only happens severely in reverse. Although today for the first time I heard it ever so faint when driving forward.

Could this be flex dics? The entire differential?

I'm at a huge loss both ideas and money at this point...

REALLY need some help, but I'm going to take it to the Stealership and fork over whatever money I have to I guess. The car is "worth" way too much to sell at book value so I'm going to drive this car till it dies!

Thanks as always in advance guys.

P.S. Also, I just got new tires and an alignment, but the car seems to be kind "float" on the road. It's not as responive as it was. For instance if you were jerk the wheel quickly to avoid something in on the highway, when you go to correct, it's very floaty. Not snapping like it used to be. I got Michelin Pilot Sports...I'm thinking this may be related to the problem or something else entirely...I don't know.

Last edited by falls profet; 05-23-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
i don't know what to say other than replace the flex disc. you know the dealer is going to "suggest" what they "think" it is and it will only be a guess. 99% of the dealer repair stories on this thread aer not good. so the car doesn't snap back like it use to? springs, shocks, steering damper, drag link, tie rod ends. could be any or all. just a guess. If you are mechanically inclined and obviously your indy is I would trust yourself and wouldn't be too trusting of what the dealership has to say. keep driving until it gets worse so you can pinpoint the problem. Its not going to cost you anymore later than sooner.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
i don't know what to say other than replace the flex disc. you know the dealer is going to "suggest" what they "think" it is and it will only be a guess. 99% of the dealer repair stories on this thread aer not good. so the car doesn't snap back like it use to? springs, shocks, steering damper, drag link, tie rod ends. could be any or all. just a guess. If you are mechanically inclined and obviously your indy is I would trust yourself and wouldn't be too trusting of what the dealership has to say. keep driving until it gets worse so you can pinpoint the problem. Its not going to cost you anymore later than sooner.
I appreciate you input brohem...I know how the dealer is too...

The springs and shocks are both still fine. I also just replaced the entire front tie-rod assembly and steering damper.

I just got back from putting her up in the garage, and no sound anywhere! This has to be caused from heat in some moving part...

I guess I could just drive it for a while, but I'm OCD about everything and this gets to me too much. But after thinking about the fact that I just spent about 3K and still the problem is there...pisses me off!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
I personally have never had a problem with the dealer but i just try to stay away because their prices are very high but knowledge wise i trust them because their techs have to take many courses and educational requirements to be able to work at a dealer. but any ways. my guess is that the sound that you are hearing is coming from the gears in the diff housing. now this could be caused by a few things, my two guesses would be:

1. your diff mounts, the two bell looking things nehind the subframe are bad or loose and when you put the car in reverse it pushes the diff backwards and causes the diff to be out of location and makes the gears be out of alignment with the axles and makes that noise

2. your diff may need service, i'm not sure if it would need greecing, oil filling or a complete overhaul.

i dont see it being the flex disc because if it was you would have the same issue driving forwad with the exact same amount of noise.

these are the best guesses i can give you. good luck with the fix.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by VIPclk320
I personally have never had a problem with the dealer but i just try to stay away because their prices are very high but knowledge wise i trust them because their techs have to take many courses and educational requirements to be able to work at a dealer. but any ways. my guess is that the sound that you are hearing is coming from the gears in the diff housing. now this could be caused by a few things, my two guesses would be:

1. your diff mounts, the two bell looking things nehind the subframe are bad or loose and when you put the car in reverse it pushes the diff backwards and causes the diff to be out of location and makes the gears be out of alignment with the axles and makes that noise

2. your diff may need service, i'm not sure if it would need greecing, oil filling or a complete overhaul.

i dont see it being the flex disc because if it was you would have the same issue driving forwad with the exact same amount of noise.

these are the best guesses i can give you. good luck with the fix.
Thank you too for the help, brother!

I really think that it has something to do with the gears in the differential. That is the only explanation I have in my mind right now, because this only happens once the car has been warmed up and driven for a while. If it's cold, it doesn't do it and everything feels normal.

I agree with you on the respect that the technicians at the Merc dealerships are very well versed on these cars, but the prices they charge for their work is really high compared to the indys. I have a trusting mechanic at the dealership and I will be heading there next Wednesday to have this problem found out.

Last edited by falls profet; 05-24-2012 at 07:44 PM.