CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Fantasy-Would the new 5.5 Liter Supercharged engine fit in the CLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2003 | 12:00 PM

2002 W208 CLK55 AMG
Fantasy-Would the new 5.5 Liter Supercharged engine fit in the CLK?

I was wondering, Kleeman come in at 16k to get a supercharger installed on our CLK's.

Would it be cheaper, or about the same price, to buy a brand new 5.5 liter supercharged engine and have it fitted into the CLK? Would it mate up to our 430's transmission? I know of course you'd have to also fit the engine management.

500+hp sounds nice. If I did this I'd probably go ahead and fit a new pulley, exhaust, etc.

Anyone know if this would fit?
Old 07-09-2003 | 12:11 PM

CLK430, CLK320 Cabriolet, ML350
My answer is somewhat generic, but... with enough money, it would fit.
Old 07-09-2003 | 12:39 PM

2002 W208 CLK55 AMG
best I could do in 10 mins.

Last edited by Brad D.; 10-01-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2003 | 12:42 PM

MB
LOL... it will be nice if you have that kind of engine in your car.

Let us know when you have that new AMG engine installed in your car.
Old 07-09-2003 | 12:47 PM

2002 W208 CLK55 AMG
Originally posted by Brad D.
best I could do in 10 mins.
Trust me it will probably only get this far, however there is a guy in my area that wants to put a 700 horsepower Supra motor and 6 speed transmission in the CLK...so that might be cool.
Old 07-09-2003 | 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you don't know already, my car (which was originally a CLK430) is going through a 3rd round of tuning using a 6.2 liter supercharged MB V8 (with projected 700 hp and 700 lb/ft torque output). I was able to get 500 hp out of the 430 engine using a supercharger, headers and cats, however, I wanted more. I'm not sure about the supra motor being dropped in the CLK, however, my engine should be done in about 3 weeks and the entire car shortly thereafter. Almost every component (from the ECU to the transmission) is being changed to handle the additional power, however, when my car only had 500 hp, the stock 430 transmission had no problems handling the power. Hope that helps and feel free to ask any questions. I'll answer them if I can:
Attached Thumbnails Fantasy-Would the new 5.5 Liter Supercharged engine fit in the CLK?-block.jpg  
Old 07-09-2003 | 01:54 PM

2002 W208 CLK55 AMG
Trust me it will probably only get this far, however there is a guy in my area that wants to put a 700 horsepower Supra motor and 6 speed transmission in the CLK...so that might be cool.
How much is all this costing you, and who is doing the work?

BTW, the whole Supra swap is less than 20k, and thats 700 wheel horsepower on a stock motor with no internals except cams.
Old 07-09-2003 | 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Evosport is building my car. Costs are confidential, however, I can tell you that it far exceeds $20K. I haven't seen anyone drop a Supra engine in an MB, however, I would warn your friend that if he does that, he is going to need a new transmission, some serious MB expertise to get the engine integrated with the MB ECU, new brakes, major wheel work and some major chassis improvements. Just to let you know, the work on my car entails, the 6.2 liter MB block, all custom manufactured engine parts, new transmission, new ECU, chromaly rollcage (for much needed stiffening of the chassis), custom Brembos, custom coilovers, Kleemann supercharger, superwide wheels, major bodywork and interior work. There is alot of MB expertise going into the car as it is expected to retain it's driveability and dependability.

Best of luck to your friend but I hope he does some thorough research on MBs specifically before he embarks on the project.
Old 07-09-2003 | 03:44 PM

MB
Sleestack: so, with Kleemann supercharger, headers and cats, a modified CLK430 can output 500hp? I don't really need this much power... Above 300 is enough for me. Do you think with headers and cats + the pulleys from Evosport, the CLK 430 can output more than 300?

Hey, do you still have the brembo brakes that you took off from your CLK? Let me know.

THanks,

Solihin
Old 07-09-2003 | 03:48 PM

2002 W208 CLK55 AMG
Originally posted by Sleestack
Evosport is building my car. Costs are confidential, however, I can tell you that it far exceeds $20K. I haven't seen anyone drop a Supra engine in an MB, however, I would warn your friend that if he does that, he is going to need a new transmission, some serious MB expertise to get the engine integrated with the MB ECU, new brakes, major wheel work and some major chassis improvements. Just to let you know, the work on my car entails, the 6.2 liter MB block, all custom manufactured engine parts, new transmission, new ECU, chromaly rollcage (for much needed stiffening of the chassis), custom Brembos, custom coilovers, Kleemann supercharger, superwide wheels, major bodywork and interior work. There is alot of MB expertise going into the car as it is expected to retain it's driveability and dependability.

Best of luck to your friend but I hope he does some thorough research on MBs specifically before he embarks on the project.
Yeah the plan is of course, the Supra 6 Speed tranny, Coilovers, etc etc...and Single Turbo Supra's are very drivable day to day because they don't get into huge boost until like 5k rpm..they are definitely not strong off the bottom end.

This isn't a sure thing...I mean I don't know if that's the thing to do or not. I do know he's already put the motor in BMW 328, 300Zx, RX7, and a few others with complete factory instruments and climate control.

Damn I'd like to see your car. It sounds like one of the sickest in the country.
Old 07-09-2003 | 04:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Even if you get lucky, and find a used motor in perfect condition for under $10,000 at a junkyard (my guess is they go for closer to 20 used), it would cost more in fabricating parts, ECU programming, etc to make it work. You can get a SL55 conversion to your engine for $30k-$40k, but you would end up with less power than a CLK55 Kleemann; of which you could practically buy 2.
Old 07-09-2003 | 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by hinhin7
Sleestack: so, with Kleemann supercharger, headers and cats, a modified CLK430 can output 500hp? I don't really need this much power... Above 300 is enough for me. Do you think with headers and cats + the pulleys from Evosport, the CLK 430 can output more than 300?

Hey, do you still have the brembo brakes that you took off from your CLK? Let me know.

THanks,

Solihin
Mr. Vanos has dibs on the Brembos, but if he doesn't want it I'll make sure to let you know. Yes, with Kleemann SC and MKB Hypertune 55 kit I was able to get almost 500 hp out of the 430 engine. I'm sure a bit of ECU tuning would have gotten me over 500 but the 6.2 liter project preempted that. I definitely think you can get more than 300 hp out of your 4.3 liter without a superchrager, however, if you are looking at the MKB kit, it's going to cost you as much as the Kleemann SC. I would talk to Evosport about trying to get there with their headers, pulleys and ECU tuning. I'm sure they could come up with a cheaper solution for you.
Old 07-09-2003 | 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah the plan is of course, the Supra 6 Speed tranny, Coilovers, etc etc...and Single Turbo Supra's are very drivable day to day because they don't get into huge boost until like 5k rpm..they are definitely not strong off the bottom end.

This isn't a sure thing...I mean I don't know if that's the thing to do or not. I do know he's already put the motor in BMW 328, 300Zx, RX7, and a few others with complete factory instruments and climate control.

Damn I'd like to see your car. It sounds like one of the sickest in the country.
I've always liked Supras and know that their engines are capable of putting out ridiculous numbers. That would definitely be an interesting project. Kepp us updated if your friend ever goes forward with the project.
Old 07-09-2003 | 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Bottom line...if a 7.4 liter V12 will fit, so will a supercharged 5.5 liter
Old 07-10-2003 | 10:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Re: Fantasy-Would the new 5.5 Liter Supercharged engine fit in the CLK?

I was wondering, Kleeman come in at 16k to get a supercharger installed on our CLK's.

Would it be cheaper, or about the same price, to buy a brand new 5.5 liter supercharged engine and have it fitted into the CLK? Would it mate up to our 430's transmission? I know of course you'd have to also fit the engine management.

500+hp sounds nice. If I did this I'd probably go ahead and fit a new pulley, exhaust, etc.

Anyone know if this would fit?
The new AMG supercharged engine lists on the MB EPC for $36,000.00. It will indeed fit with no problems. Add another $15-1700.00 for the ECU, and perhaps another $2000.00 for the wiring harness. Figure at least 18-20 hours of labor MINIMUM to do the retrofit. You'll eclipse the $40,000.00 mark very quickly. It will make the price of a KLEEMANN kompressor seem like a bargain. Gone are the days of quick, cheap engine swaps. Dollar per HP wise, KLEEMANN has one of the best values.
Old 07-10-2003 | 11:33 AM

MB
Re: Re: Fantasy-Would the new 5.5 Liter Supercharged engine fit in the CLK?

Originally posted by CoryU
The new AMG supercharged engine lists on the MB EPC for $36,000.00. It will indeed fit with no problems. Add another $15-1700.00 for the ECU, and perhaps another $2000.00 for the wiring harness. Figure at least 18-20 hours of labor MINIMUM to do the retrofit. You'll eclipse the $40,000.00 mark very quickly. It will make the price of a KLEEMANN kompressor seem like a bargain. Gone are the days of quick, cheap engine swaps. Dollar per HP wise, KLEEMANN has one of the best values.
If my memory serves me correctly, Lucas (Denmark) is selling AMG supercharged engine for $5000, but I don't know if this is the same engine you are talking Cory + I might be wrong..
heheheh :-)

Solihin
Old 07-10-2003 | 02:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

I'm not sure whether he actually did or not, but he mentioned selling the used superchargers, not the engines. The engines still have value to them!
Old 07-10-2003 | 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R170
He was selling the used S/C units that were/are being replaced by their new amg s/c 5.5L supercharger swap correct?
Old 07-10-2003 | 05:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Yes
Old 07-10-2003 | 09:16 PM

MB
Is the supercharger from AMG? He also mentioned that it takes a lot of work to install it and to pass the emissions, it is the toughest one. Ben, do you know how much hp would be coming out from the engine if it is installed in to a 430 engine? Any figure on the installation?

Thanks,

Solihin
Old 07-11-2003 | 12:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

The Kleemann Supercharger gets more power at less boost than the AMG. The AMG supercharger also runs too much boost for the stock 430 motor, you would have to lower it to handle the compression or change the engine internals. Doing this would easily surpass the cost of the Kleemann.
Old 07-11-2003 | 02:46 PM

2002 W208 CLK55 AMG
Easily changed with a pully though right?
Old 07-11-2003 | 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Sleestack

I've heard about such a stunning and impressive work being done at Vadim's speed shop. It's been a long while though, maybe as far as last year, if my memory serves me right.

Is this the same car (W208 CLK)? If so, when will the car be unveiled for public viewing?
Old 07-11-2003 | 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by randall-sd
I've heard about such a stunning and impressive work being done at Vadim's speed shop. It's been a long while though, maybe as far as last year, if my memory serves me right.

Is this the same car (W208 CLK)? If so, when will the car be unveiled for public viewing?
Yes, that is the same car. The delay has primarily been caused by sourcing of the custom manufactured parts. Vadim is using shops that do work for big time racing (e.g. Nascar), so it has been difficult to get them to make our parts a priority. Nevertheless, quality is the more important to me and Vadim (and the rest of the Evosport guys) and we know these shops are some of the best in the business. All the engine parts are pretty much in now so engine build is beginning any day. Once it begins, the rest of the prcoess should move along relatively quickly. I would anticipate another 2 months until the car is ready to hit the road.
Old 07-11-2003 | 09:29 PM

2002 W208 CLK55 AMG
After what you are telling me on the amount of time I am leaning towards the 2JZ-GTE Single Turbo option, only in an BMW M3 instead of the CLK.

Over 1 year is just too long.

I am looking for 600 wheel horsepower on the stock motor with 272 Cams for $15-19k total swap money with total drivability with the BMW Instruments and Climate Control still functional, including a 6 speed manual tranny.

Finished product:I am supposed to test this soon.