CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Car won't start when it gets below 32 degrees

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start when it gets below 32 degrees

I know it's summer but I'm trying to prepare for the winter. I've been having issues with my 2003 CLK320 not wanting to start when it gets below 32 and it sits in the cold for an extended period of time. (more than 4 hours). I first noticed this a few years back when the car stalled at a red light and it kept cranking without firing. After about ten tries it started up and I got home. I did some research on the board and replaced the CPS and I've never had it stall again but I have had it not want to start in temperatures below 32 degrees. Usually I'll have to keep turning it over and over, sometimes it takes up to 10 tries and then it fires up. Other times, I had to leave it and come back next day when it warmed a little. When I originally replaced the CPS, I had to shave it back just a tad becuase is sound like it was actually rubbing when the motor was running. Do you think this could be the issue? have I shaved it back too much that during cold weather the metal shirnks enough to throw if off? I would appreciate any input. I've searched the forums but it seems that most people have issues with hot starts and not cold starts.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
If you get the correct cps (oem...not ebay), it should fir perfectly w/o any "shaving". Before I did anything, I'd get the correct cps. Try autohauzaz.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was an oem part and not from eBay. At least it was listed as. I've bought other parts from the place and never had issues. I will try the new cps and see how it works this winter.