CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Flat Emblem: Plastic Tips Lost!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2003 | 10:39 PM

2001 CLK 320
Flat Emblem: Plastic Tips Lost!

So I was all ready to slap on that flat emblem badge on my CLK tonight and got screwed by circumstance.

After easily removing the upright star, I realized that there was only 1 plastic "tip cover" in the new emblem packaging. So I figured I'd give it a go with the only plastic tip cover remaining, and when I had everything lined up, I got my roommate to hold the badge in place... At which point he accidentally knocked the other plastic tip somewhere in to the innards of the engine.

Now I gots no plastic tips.

What are those things really called and where can I get them?

If one was so easily tapped off the bottom of the emblem, how are those things going to hold it in place with road movement?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-21-2003 | 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
those actually hold quite well once they are clipped on tightly.

if you go to your parts department, they will know what you are talking about... just describe it the way you did to us.

an alternative that seems to have worked for me is simply installing it from the top... using double sided tape/foam tape.

it holds very well, and since the tape keeps it about 1-2mm above the actual paint surface, there is no chance of the edge of the badge scratching the paint.
Old 07-21-2003 | 11:43 PM

2001 CLK 320
Danny,

I'll try that, it seems a bit easier- I'm wondering if I'll have trouble getting it off though if I ever want to re-fix the upright star(?)

Sidenote: I'm pretty surprised that the flat emblem is made of plastic. The loaner they gave me over the weekend was an ML 350, and I noticed the emblem on that was plastic too (I had my suspicions when I first received my badge from mail order).

-Chris
Old 07-21-2003 | 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by cscordo
Danny,

I'll try that, it seems a bit easier- I'm wondering if I'll have trouble getting it off though if I ever want to re-fix the upright star(?)

Sidenote: I'm pretty surprised that the flat emblem is made of plastic. The loaner they gave me over the weekend was an ML 350, and I noticed the emblem on that was plastic too (I had my suspicions when I first received my badge from mail order).

-Chris
yeah, they are made of hard plastic, with an aluminum-like accent...

removing it won't be too hard... it will be like removing an emblem or decal... just pull straight up, and use your fingers to rub the tape off. if the tape is giving you a hard time, something like Meguiars SCRATCH X will help soften, remove, and clean that surface area