CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Q's on Replacing Cat Converter in Cali w/ MAGNAFLOW 441304

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 C63 P31 Eurocharged, 2006 SLK55 R171, 2013 Audi RS5
Q's on Replacing Cat Converter in Cali w/ MAGNAFLOW 441304

Hey guys,

Before I pull the trigger I just wanted ask a few questions. I got diagnosed with having a bad driver's side rear catalytic converter (knock it and it rattles) and after seeing how much he wanted for the part in-store, we agreed I could find the part myself and come back. So I looked up on Magnaflow's website and found that for cars in California the correct part # is MAGNAFLOW 441304.

1) Muffler guy mentioned that the Magnaflow is slightly different shape from the OEM so that he'll have to do a little extra labor to fit an aftermarket alongside an OEM -- is this true? He said if replaced both cats the labor in total would be less per cat, but obviously the cheapest solution would be to replace the one cat. I didn't get the impression I was getting an intentional price inflation or anything, but just wanted to know for sure.

2) Should I buy just the one, or replace the other 'while he's there'? It's only $85 per rear cat.

3) Anyone have experience using this part? I don't believe it would reduce HP vs. OEM but even if I lost 5hp we wouldn't care as racing around isn't our objective with the car.

Car has 166,000 miles. Is it common to replace the other cat in short order?

Advice welcome and appreciated!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
I have a complete set of oemcats, all 4 plus a magnaflow exhaust for the 320. I just did a motor swap from 320 to 55 so those items are no longer needed. I'm willing to part with all of them for $400 if you pickup if not plus shipping. I'm in the Los Angeles/southbay area. Everything is in perfect working condition. And you can keep the rest for future or you can sell the rest. I know used Benz CSS go for about $250-300 each and you get all 4 Plus the magnaflow exhaust so you do the math. I'm just selling for cheap because I need them gone yesterday, no storage or time to post tem up.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 C63 P31 Eurocharged, 2006 SLK55 R171, 2013 Audi RS5
Hmmm...I hadn't really thought of used Cats. I know some shops don't want to install them considering they could go at any time. How many miles on the exhaust components you have?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
Originally Posted by BlueBenzCLK
Hmmm...I hadn't really thought of used Cats. I know some shops don't want to install them considering they could go at any time. How many miles on the exhaust components you have?
ive never had a problem installing used cats, the thing that many shops dont do is removing the cats and deleting them because they can get shut down by the government. used cats are not a problem. the cats have about 42k miles on them and the exhaust has 5k miles on it. they are al in great working condition and i just had them removed from my car about a monnth ago when i started the transplant which if you are intrested you can follow in the other thread. merceds cats are $800 to $1400 each from the dealer because they also include piping which is unnecessary and thats why many benz users buy them used which is very hard to find and impossible at the price that i'm offering. you can search around and see how much they go for used and you'll see i'm asking for a fraction of the price and including the muffler. but anyways if you want them they are yours at that price if not I will have no problem selling them to the recycling centers for $800 because they melt them and take the platinum inside of them. just thought i give you a helping hand with the price and it will take the work off of me to pick them up from the shop and take them to the recycling center. if you deceided you want them pm me your number and i'll text or call you and we can arrange time to take care of it.