CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Wet Carpet???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 CLK 430
Wet Carpet???

I'm new to this forums. I need your helps.

During the heavy rain, my CLK was parked at the truck loading ramp in front of a warehouse. This ramp is the lowest point around, so water would drain into this ramp. I was inside the wearhouse and wasn't aware of this. I came out and caught it when the water level was reaching up to the bottom of the side skirts. I quickly jumped in and drove the car away from the ramp. There was no water going inside the car when I opened the door. When I checked the carpets, they were completely dry on my side but the passenger side, in the back was soaking wet.

I took my car in. The dealer did the water test and found no leaks. The service advisor had no idea how the water got inside, but his manager who never even looked at the car assumed that the water got in thru the "body drain hole" since the car was standing still. The manager also said ALL CARS will not stand water when it reached up to the body drain hole if the car is standing still. The water will get inside any cars. I think MB should take a responsibility to fix this. The drain hole is made for inside water to drain out, not for outside water to get in. Can the outside water get in thru this hole?

I called the MB-USA. The MB technical support told me if the water level didn't reached up to the door, there was no way the water could get inside.

My friend's 2003 SLK320 went thru the flood where the water level was higher than the bottom door seal. He had to stop the car at the red light for a few mins in that deep flood water. No water got inside.

Does anyone ever come across this problem? Should MB take care of this?
Old 07-27-2003, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
I had the same problem in my car and I thought it was pretty stupid too because there's a large part of the wiring harness and thr transmission computer right there. I guess from now on, stay away from floods.