CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Trunk won't open ((Coupe))

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 187 Likes on 120 Posts
SL 400
Trunk won't open ((Coupe))

Hello all,

I know there have been posts on trunk issues before, but when searching I find most relating to the cabs and not coupes.

Went to the store last night, grabbed a 12 pack of tea. Hit trunk button on key fob, trunk opened, placed tea in trunk. I drove 1 mile to my house, jumped out, hit the trunk button on key fob and nothing????

As I said to myself, "must be the battery going bad on key fob, I'll just use the inside button no prob". Wrong! Nothing there either, won't open. WTH (I don't curse so what some use fu*k in WTF I use heck lol. Just so you won't be asking what is WTH.

Anyway, no prior issues with trunk key fob or inside trunk release button. Looking back I "kinda" remember thinking to myself it took 1 or 2 seconds longer for the trunk to pop open than normal when at the store but maybe just 2nd guessing.

Only thing I do notice is that the light is not lighting on the trunk release button inside like it always does. Ok, fuse must be the issue, pop the hood, check that fuse, good, not blown. Looking at fuse diagram it notes other fuses in the trunk. Bad place if locked out of the trunk IMO.

Oh yeah, mechanical key does not open trunk, checked it on the doors and it works, thought I might have it in backwards or something but no. Almost broke it off trying to turn it so I stopped. Goes in but won't turn at all. I can push the trunk key area in with my finger as if it was going to open but nothing.

Got on the gas pretty good when going home so the tea could have I guess, smashed toward the back of the trunk and broke something?? Dunno.

So, if I don't get in the trunk before Winter the tea will explode in the cold. Not to mention if I get a flat before I get the trunk working again. Please help.

Thanks.
2000 clk 430 coupe.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 11-10-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:46 PM

SL 400
So I'm out there wiggling the mech key like some say online to do and it's not turning. Dag gone fingers are getting sore, been trying for 30 minutes.

Not sure which way the mech key is to go in since it slides in both ways. If you know, which way is the clip facing left or right to turn the key going by my pics?

Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
Hello all,

I know there have been posts on trunk issues before, but when searching I find most relating to the cabs and not coupes.

Went to the store last night, grabbed a 12 pack of tea. Hit trunk button on key fob, trunk opened, placed tea in trunk. I drove 1 mile to my house, jumped out, hit the trunk button on key fob and nothing????

As I said to myself, "must be the battery going bad on key fob, I'll just use the inside button no prob". Wrong! Nothing there either, won't open. WTH (I don't curse so what some use fu*k in WTF I use heck lol. Just so you won't be asking what is WTH.

Anyway, no prior issues with trunk key fob or inside trunk release button. Looking back I "kinda" remember thinking to myself it took 1 or 2 seconds longer for the trunk to pop open than normal when at the store but maybe just 2nd guessing.

Only thing I do notice is that the light is not lighting on the trunk release button inside like it always does. Ok, fuse must be the issue, pop the hood, check that fuse, good, not blown. Looking at fuse diagram it notes other fuses in the trunk. Bad place if locked out of the trunk IMO.

Oh yeah, mechanical key does not open trunk, checked it on the doors and it works, thought I might have it in backwards or something but no. Almost broke it off trying to turn it so I stopped. Goes in but won't turn at all. I can push the trunk key area in with my finger as if it was going to open but nothing.

Got on the gas pretty good when going home so the tea could have I guess, smashed toward the back of the trunk and broke something?? Dunno.

So, if I don't get in the trunk before Winter the tea will explode in the cold. Not to mention if I get a flat before I get the trunk working again. Please help.

Thanks.
2000 clk 430 coupe.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
Normally, all you have to do is push the button in and the trunk will open however, when using the key I believe you need to push key and the button in before you turn the key.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:56 PM

SL 400
I opened the trunk plenty of times by just pushing in the button. Now it just goes in but doesn't pop up. Can you go out to your car and check to confirm what you said about the key? I'm still outside working on this.

Tried a method that I read about removing first aid kit area and sticking hand in this tiny hole to get to trunk release wires but only got to one side of the wires and it still wouldn't open by pulling on the metal part to release the seat.

Getting frustrated.

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
Normally, all you have to do is push the button in and the trunk will open however, when using the key I believe you need to push key and the button in before you turn the key.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
I was at work when I responded so now that I am home I found that when the car is locked if I put the key in the lock all I have to do is push straight in and the trunk opens and the doors remain locked. I must have read the other before but never confirmed the process. One of the things I have done to my car since reading horror stories about not being able to get into the trunk is(if you don't use the back seat much)unlock the back seat from the trunk and just leave it unlocked. the seat will not flop forward under hard breaking. So in the future if this happens I will be able to get into the trunk.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM

SL 400
Good idea about the back seats. If I ever get back in I will do that.

Car doors locked or unlocked pushing in the trunk key button does nothing. Any idea why there is no light on the release button inside the car anymore? What ever that is has got to be the issue., But that doesn't explain why I can't push the button at the trunk and open it that way. Dark outside now, gonna go out one more time and try.

Someone has to have a way to get inside. I'll just be patient until then. I just hope I don't get a flat.

Thanks again

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
I was at work when I responded so now that I am home I found that when the car is locked if I put the key in the lock all I have to do is push straight in and the trunk opens and the doors remain locked. I must have read the other before but never confirmed the process. One of the things I have done to my car since reading horror stories about not being able to get into the trunk is(if you don't use the back seat much)unlock the back seat from the trunk and just leave it unlocked. the seat will not flop forward under hard breaking. So in the future if this happens I will be able to get into the trunk.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
There have been quite a few threads on this. It sounds as though you have something caught in the release. To get into the trunk, you need to go through the back seat. Open the first aid kit door. You should be able to reach in and release one of the seat backs....crawl in and see what's going on.
The key not working is another long list of threads. You need to wd40 the mechanism for quite a while to get it unstuck. Push in key and turn counter clockwise 1/4 turn. If it doen't go, it's still frozen and squirt in more....don't force or you'll break it for sure.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:45 PM

SL 400
As posted earlier. Already tried that with the back seat. Guess I will try wd40 or something like that tomorrow.

Thanks though.

Tried a method that I read about removing first aid kit area and sticking hand in this tiny hole to get to trunk release wires but only got to one side of the wires and it still wouldn't open by pulling on the metal part to release the seat

Originally Posted by cindyclk
There have been quite a few threads on this. It sounds as though you have something caught in the release. To get into the trunk, you need to go through the back seat. Open the first aid kit door. You should be able to reach in and release one of the seat backs....crawl in and see what's going on.
The key not working is another long list of threads. You need to wd40 the mechanism for quite a while to get it unstuck. Push in key and turn counter clockwise 1/4 turn. If it doen't go, it's still frozen and squirt in more....don't force or you'll break it for sure.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM

SL 400
Good news! I was able to get the seats down to get in the trunk. First chance I had to try again since last time. Come to find out I was not pulling the seat cord hard enough. Was a little angry about not getting in and gave it a harder yank today and "pop" left side seat opened. Repeated the same on the right and "pop" it also opened. My Razzleberry tea is safely in my fridge. Crawled in trunk to look around. Thank God it's clean in there.

Soooooo- first thing was to fold up my floor mat and pull that through the seat opening so I could get to the fuse box to check the other trunk fuses that weren't under the hood. Bad news, all fuses are good.

What do I do now????????

Recap-
Key fob battery works fine.
Fuses are all good. ( trunk and hood )
Mech key won't work on trunk lock, sprayed it last week with penetration spray, etc. key won't turn at all.
I hear nothing when pushing the key fob. No air, no sucking, no click, nothing.

I have made progress. But no trunk yet.

Have at it guys!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Is the green safety pushbutton (the button you push if someone gets trapped...child..in the trunk) in the trunk on?...if so, what happens when it is pushed? Do you hear anything when pushed?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM

1999 E300 TDI, 2000 CLK430, 2000 E320, 2003 S55, 2005 SL500, 2011 ML350
I went thru this a few years back when I was on vacation. As cindyclk pointed out earlier, most likely a caught wire/vacuum hose. If you ever removed the inner liner on the trunk to replace any rear bulbs, perhaps you reinstalled it without clearing all the wires. That's basically what I did which is why I did not have any lighting on the release button nor would my trunk open.

I am glad all is good for you now, but I'd disassemble that inner trunk liner and make sure you reassemble it clearing all wires/vacuum lines. In fact I'm going to that myself in the next 5 min as I need to replace a blown license plate bulb. I think that may resolve your trunk release light issue.

Good luck,

Ed

00 clk430 blk/blk (dd)
86.5 Porsche 928s blk/blk (garage queen)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 PM

SL 400
I don't know if my car (2000) has the green safety button. I don't remember seeing it before and I didn't see it when I was in the trunk earlier. Maybe the car has to be running to light? Either way I didn't see it but I'm going to look again with the car lights on.

Originally Posted by cindyclk
Is the green safety pushbutton (the button you push if someone gets trapped...child..in the trunk) in the trunk on?...if so, what happens when it is pushed? Do you hear anything when pushed?

Originally Posted by 928Benz
I went thru this a few years back when I was on vacation. As cindyclk pointed out earlier, most likely a caught wire/vacuum hose. If you ever removed the inner liner on the trunk to replace any rear bulbs, perhaps you reinstalled it without clearing all the wires. That's basically what I did which is why I did not have any lighting on the release button nor would my trunk open.

I am glad all is good for you now, but I'd disassemble that inner trunk liner and make sure you reassemble it clearing all wires/vacuum lines. In fact I'm going to that myself in the next 5 min as I need to replace a blown license plate bulb. I think that may resolve your trunk release light issue.

Good luck,

Ed

00 clk430 blk/blk (dd)
86.5 Porsche 928s blk/blk (garage queen)

I'll look as much as possible but hard to see stuffed in the trunk even with a light. I'll try to look for some vac line I guess. Any idea what side I should be looking? Passenger or driver? Going to crawl back in the trunk now to look. All wont be good until my trunk is opening again.

Thanks to you both.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 11-18-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 PM

SL 400
I have a news update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait for it.......

Wait for it.......

Wait for it........

Tahhdahhhh!!!!

I got the trunk open with all the advise in this and another thread. I turned the car lights on to see if a green safety release would show itself or light up.
I crawled back in through the seat to look for it. Nothing. I pulled back the carpet around the lights to look. Nothing. Plus I had not messed with my lights at all. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Pulled more carpet around the lock part, saw the wires, hose,etc.. Everything looked fine. But after more looking I noticed a small white springy kinda push pen thing that was a skew. I reached in the tight space and pushed it even so it was level. I heard a click and said to myself "was that it?" A pull of the trunk release up front and pooofff the trunk opened.

Now time to inspect (in the dark) the trunk lid. The little white lever switch, what ever you call it that when pushed in turns the trunk light on an off was not springing back when I pushed it in. I had to manually pull it back out. What the heck?, What what make that happen??

Well, after a few minutes of tinkering I concluded that the carpet was not sitting flush and was binding around the switch. Further inspection and also thinking back why or would would make the carpet be slightly off fitting? The only two recent times I have done anything in my trunk was change a flat several months ago, AND CHANGE MY TAG LIGHTS TO THE LED WHITES!!!! I had to pull the carpet down before to get to the tag light bulbs and didn't get it siting completely flush again so I am the one who caused my trunk not to open when a few weeks ago I put in new bulbs lol.

Carpet is flush, got it back under the trunk handle like it should have been before and it works like a charm again. Mechanical key still does not work but that for another time.

Thanks again for all the advise!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 AM

1999 clk 320
having the same issue

I am very excited you were able to get your trunk open I seem to be having the same exact issue that you're having is there anyway that you can post a photo of what small spring thing you're talking about so I hopefully can resolve this exact same issue you're having with my own please please please

Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
I have a news update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait for it.......

Wait for it.......

Wait for it........

Tahhdahhhh!!!!

I got the trunk open with all the advise in this and another thread. I turned the car lights on to see if a green safety release would show itself or light up.
I crawled back in through the seat to look for it. Nothing. I pulled back the carpet around the lights to look. Nothing. Plus I had not messed with my lights at all. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Pulled more carpet around the lock part, saw the wires, hose,etc.. Everything looked fine. But after more looking I noticed a small white springy kinda push pen thing that was a skew. I reached in the tight space and pushed it even so it was level. I heard a click and said to myself "was that it?" A pull of the trunk release up front and pooofff the trunk opened.

Now time to inspect (in the dark) the trunk lid. The little white lever switch, what ever you call it that when pushed in turns the trunk light on an off was not springing back when I pushed it in. I had to manually pull it back out. What the heck?, What what make that happen??

Well, after a few minutes of tinkering I concluded that the carpet was not sitting flush and was binding around the switch. Further inspection and also thinking back why or would would make the carpet be slightly off fitting? The only two recent times I have done anything in my trunk was change a flat several months ago, AND CHANGE MY TAG LIGHTS TO THE LED WHITES!!!! I had to pull the carpet down before to get to the tag light bulbs and didn't get it siting completely flush again so I am the one who caused my trunk not to open when a few weeks ago I put in new bulbs lol.

Carpet is flush, got it back under the trunk handle like it should have been before and it works like a charm again. Mechanical key still does not work but that for another time.

Thanks again for all the advise!