CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need help removing passenger seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
Need help removing passenger seat

I seriously need some help removing the passenger seat in my 2001 CLK320.

The forward/back motor stopped working and I was hearing a click each time I tried moving the seat forward and back. The up/down cushion, seat back foward/back, and headrest all work, just not the forward/back on the track.

I'm trying to get the seat out to make replacing the motor much easier, as well as clean under the seat, it's a mess.

The problem I'm having is the rear 2 torx bolts are inaccessible (due to the track blocking them) and I can't remove the seat. I've tried everything I can to get the seat to move forward, but it seems impossible to move it manually.

I have researched threads over the last few days, but no gives a definitive answer of how to remove the seat when the bolts can't be taken out.

I also haven't seen any pictures regarding this matter, so I took the liberty of taking a bunch of pictures and hopefully someone can show me how to remove the seat.

Here's the pics of the seat track and the piece I need to be able to remove to get the seat to move:

RIGHT SIDE TRACK:

*I removed the 2 bolts holding this shaft to the track, but I still can't wedge this shaft out of the track. It wiggles a bit, but won't come out.

LEFT SIDE TRACK:

*The spline that needs to disengage from the track:

*Actual seat motor has been removed, but still can't get module to loosen from track assembly.

*Part circled is where I can't get to separate from seat track, thus I cannot get the spline to come out.

For those that may not know, I recently inherited this car from my late Aunt, I've never owned a Mercedes, I've been a GM guy my whole life and working on MB vs GM is like night and day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits end with this damn seat! I can't believe you can't manually move it back and forth as a failsafe.

Thanks-
Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Don't bother trying to remove the seat. You have the motors in view. Install the new motor. You can then adjust the seat for/aft to get to the track bolts.