CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

We're baffled, stop light problem, have tried all search suggestions, but need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK 320 Carbo
We're baffled, stop light problem, have tried all search suggestions, but need help!

99MB CLK 320 convertible: I have replaced brake switch, 3 sets of new 7225 bulbs as called for. Have cleaned sockets and there pins. I turn lights on and shorter filament of bulbs shines very brightly (this is all done with fixtures out of tail light and in trunk so I can see them well) then if you press brake pedal the taller filament in the bulb glows very dim, just about impossible to see it glow with the other filament in the bulb so bright. With lights off brake light by itself (taller filament) glows but just barley. This seems to be the the same problem the brake light switch was replaced to resolve three weeks ago? What can I try next? Is there any type of adjustment on the brake switch. Need help because I don't think it's safe to drive with out brake lights
Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 clk 320
Check the fuse box on the driver side of the dash. Open the drivers door and you can see the cover. Open it and pull the brake light fuse. They are difficult to put in my fuse was not installed correctly and I had the same symptoms as you. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK 320 Carbo
Mr. H, thank you for you replay. Fuses and fuse holders are an area that we have checked and cleaned. But I did get another idea from a different MB forum. The writer says that even though everyone in the U.S. calls for double filiment bulb made by Sylvania number 7225 (Auto Zone, Amazon, Walmart, etc.) it is not the correct size for the Mercedes Benz sockets. 7225 have the pins placed at 12 and 7 if you look at them from the bottom like a clock face. The German production bulbs have the pins at 12 and 6. You can jam the 7225's into the sockets but they do not seat correctly possibly causing amongst other problems poor contact and low voltage for for the stop light filament. First thing tomorrow I'm off to the MB dealership to buy the stock bulbs and see if it makes any differances. I'll post the results.