CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK320 cuts out on hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by Jonaska
How are things going Jeff? Have you cured your problem?
I'm still struggling. I bought a OBD2 scanner which can view live data. The one thing I see is when the problem occurs the fuelsys value goes from CL to OL-DRIVE. Any ideas?
I’ve also tested the car without the air filter, that did make it go worse all the way with the problem still in place.
But when I disconnected the MAF (with air filter in place) the car did go smoothly without the problem. Although it did loose a couple of horses…
I’ve just changed the MAF a couple of months ago and do not want buy another just to test.
One thing I’ve noticed is that the MAF does jerk I bit where it sits. So I’m going to try with some silicone to make it air tight around it’s connections.
Has anyone any other ideas on what I could check?
Thats closed loop(CL) to open loop(OL). OL uses the O2 sensors for fueling. I see you checked/replaced may parts but no mention of O2 sensors. dont smear silicone around the MAF... you will have a whole new set of problems. If the seal is bad replace it with new seals. They are cheap and in stock at the dealer. If the seal is bad at the base of the MAF you will have issues.

Originally Posted by ArnettsBenz
Don't Know it its the same for 430's and 320's but I have a similiar problem with my 430, took it to my MB mech and he said the transmission sensor that shifts the tranny trough gears is out of sync and needs to be replaced. Not something that will ruin the tranny, but he said the anything at WOT if will bog out for 1/2 second to a second and then kick back in. He also said MB has updated the part 4 times and is now close to $1k to replace. So car is fine for regular driving but cant mash on it without the delay... Might be that...

Im not sure but the "part" sounds like the TCU. However the problem does NOT sound like the TCU. Updated several times sounds like the adaptor plug but that is < 20 bucks so not sure what he meant? I wonder if he was refering to the conductor plate but again, that will usually hold the problem till you cycle the key. Any more info??
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430
I am probably going to talk to him tomorrow, and will get specifics. From what he was saying it sounded like he was talking about the TCU but no possitive. will keep you posted after I talk to him...
Old 04-12-2013, 02:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 320 CABRIO
TCU

Hi guys how much is a new TCU?
Old 05-19-2013, 04:19 PM

-01 C320 w203
Thanks for the tip bobbyjo9. Do you mean the o2 sensor sitting on the exhaust pipe before the cat? Since last time my alternator gave up. (Actually only the voltage regulator) while driving the car only on battery power I did not have any issues! Now with fixed alternator and a new seal under the MAF the problem only occurs while the engine is cold?!
Old 12-25-2014, 04:21 AM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by VB2NC
I posted a similar question on Benzworld, so I thought I'd try here as well. Under hard acceleration, the car will cut out for about 1/2 a second and then immediately regain full power. The problem is intermittent in nature. As a matter of routine maintenance/to cure low idle, I have recently replaced the coils, plugs, wires, MAF, crank position sensor, thermostat and coolant temp sensor. Yet the problem persists.

It feels like a fuel cut-off gets tripped for a split second, but I'm not sure if that's a likely scenario on these cars.
Hi... i noticed that this post is almost two years and i hope you found a solution to your problem, i got my clk 320 2004 model and it has a low millage, in a very good condition but i am having same issue the car is not responsive to the throttle or even its not taking off from standing position it feels like the car is dead compared to E320 1999 i had before it. so i changed air filters and spark plugs and fuel filters but no change. please if you had the problem solved kindly advice.....
Old 12-25-2014, 11:32 AM

'02 CLK320 Sport
Unfortunately, I never fully got to the bottom of the problem and have since sold the car. I got things narrowed down to a cold start issue, but mine would be perfect until the outside temp dropped below about 50F. Once the car was warmed up the problem would disappear.