CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HELP! Clock/Temp/Mileage display always on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320
HELP! Clock/Temp/Mileage display always on

Hi guys

Im posting here out of sheer frustration.

I am a first-time Mercedes owner and have a 98 CLK320 which I bought a couple of months ago.

I have noticed that even though the key isnt in the car and the car is locked up that the dashboard display for the temp, mileage and clock is always on. This didnt seem to make sense to me but I assumed perhaps this is just how it is with Mercs.

Recently after the car had been stood unused for a couple of days it wouldnt start - flat battery. I called RAC who tested the battery and said it needed to be replaced. No problem. I bought a new battery and have this fitted. The day after the new battery was also flat.

I have charged up the battery fully and put it back in but something keeps draining the charge.

Everything that I can switch off is switched off but the LED display which as I said is ALWAYS on.

To test this I removed fuse 26 (a 10A fuse for the instrument cluster) and left the car overnight. I put it back in the following morning and the car started. I have done this for the past three days now just so I can make sure I have enough power in the car to start it.

Have I got a sticky relay or something? Why is the display always on?

I have also noticed that if I am sitting in the car but the key isnt in the ignition the electric windows will still go up and down.

It is as though the car doesnt recognise that the key isnt in and is keeping systems active even if the car is locked up.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Can you confirm the clock display IS supposed to go out when you lock the door?

Please help I am beginning to regret getting this car as it is so unreliable.

EDIT - Spoke to the dealership and they confirmed the display and power is indeed supposed to switch off. They want £100+ to test the car to see what the fault is and then extra to fix it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by TheCorinthianUK; 01-08-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: additional info