CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Battery Negative Cable Cracked Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes
Battery Negative Cable Cracked Question

Hey guys,

Have an issue with my 2001 CLK55.
Key wouldn't start the car, so I went out and bought a new battery, hoping to replace it myself. Well I open the trunk and get to the battery bay and it turns out that the negative cable, where it connects to the battery is cracked and completely separated from the battery. I ordered the part from my local dealer.

My question is, how can i safely change this out myself, or would you recommend just calling Roadside assistance, since I have the battery and just have them do it?

If I were to attempt this myself, I'm assuming i would disconnect the positive end and negative end that's still attached. Remove the battery and then take a wrench and loosen the busted cable and replace it? I just didn't know if electrically there is anything danergous about doing this?

Thanks in advanced!!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by ctrider
Hey guys,

Have an issue with my 2001 CLK55.
Key wouldn't start the car, so I went out and bought a new battery, hoping to replace it myself. Well I open the trunk and get to the battery bay and it turns out that the negative cable, where it connects to the battery is cracked and completely separated from the battery. I ordered the part from my local dealer.

My question is, how can i safely change this out myself, or would you recommend just calling Roadside assistance, since I have the battery and just have them do it?

If I were to attempt this myself, I'm assuming i would disconnect the positive end and negative end that's still attached. Remove the battery and then take a wrench and loosen the busted cable and replace it? I just didn't know if electrically there is anything danergous about doing this?

Thanks in advanced!!
You actually don't need the dealer part. A negative cable of the same gauge from an auto parts store will work fine. You can swap the cable out yourself if you have tools. It's literally two bolts. Don't use a crescent wrench to tighten the battery bolt and accidentally touch the two battery terminals together unless you're trying to gain superpowers.