CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

intake bold idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 clk 320; 2004 ford expedition; 2005 toyota prius
intake bold idea

i am planning to have two cold intakes split on a y-pipe. one where the orginal air box went and the other on a flex hose downward through the passenger front wheel well cavity. that will soon have that electric turbo forcing air once the throttle is pressed all the way down...

any thoughts as to how outrageous this idea is. however i will start to post pics. give me your thoughts of what i may run into or if improvements if any i will see theories etc... i will also have that section of the top intake boxed out to block heat connected to where the stock inlet scoop from the grill where air goes in. the flex hose will be taped and concealed with insulation tape all the way down.

issues i see now is the y pipe fittings not fitting and i see areas where air leaks through. any suggestions as to what to use to make this seal so air will not be able to seep through. rubber couplers, clasps, flex seal rubber plumbers glue I'm all ears.

sorry for this ghetto setup. I'm just curious bored and if it doesn't work ill move on haha.

well my goal is to have solid feed of cold air comming from different inlets then comming together creating turbulence and when the electric turbo kicks in force more air into it creating (theoretically more performance.)
Old 02-08-2013, 01:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
Generally "Electric Turbo's" for all intents and purposes are absolutely worthless, and provide inadequate boost pressure to enhance performance whatsoever. You can google and youtube away and see actual dyno results of these products, and products that provide more psi output, that still offer no results. You have to think of real exhaust driven turbos and how fast they actually have to spin up to produce an adequate amount of boost to make a difference. After that, it's good luck chuck tuning the fuel and ignition map to compensate if you were to get adequate boost (7-12lbs) to feel the difference. Then again hobbies are fun, do what you feel is right, it's your vehicle. The other issue I see is that if you Y off the intake, you will lose any positive charge if the Y is after any type of compression device, turbo, supercharger, whatever as it will chose the path of least resistance.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 AM

1998 clk 320; 2004 ford expedition; 2005 toyota prius
i have seen all the reviews of these electric turbos. but i have ran across this electric turbo which actually uses a garret turbo as its turbo. and i was curious. electric turbo spooled with ball bearings and i started to question what if i should just get it to just shut my brain off. but i just watched youtube video which myth busted the cold intake on a skyline and i was blown away about how his car actually lost power vs. the stock airbox. and after watching made me want to put back the stock box immediately. i guess i should just shy away from the cheap stuff save some green and go for the gusto when i have enough. and kleeman...

that being said i have to ask you should i ECU tune my car via remotely. will that even help me as far as h gains and mpg savings? any insight on this thanks.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Why not just make a CAI and call it a day? Doing the whole electric turbo y pipe thing sounds like a ton of work for minimal gains.

Another thought is someone with a 208 took out the parking light assemblies and used them as inlets for two ram air ports.