CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Running Koni fronts with Bilstien rears? (Sport shocks)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
Running Koni fronts with Bilstien rears? (Sport shocks)

Would running Koni sport adjustables in the front with Bilstien Sports in the rear present a problem? Are they similar/compatible if lowered on H&R sport springs?

Weird question I know but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or is it a no-no...
Old 03-28-2013, 01:08 PM

01 clk 430
I should also mention the reason I'm wondering is because I bought the Bilstien rears quite some time ago and recently came across some Koni fronts with the idea of also getting koni's for the rear but now I'm questioning if the combo would be ok to run as I'd probably only want to adjust the fronts anyhow...
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 / E350 Coupe
I sent you this in regards to your PM of the same question. I'm just posting this here as well maybe someone may comment on my response.

That's gonna be a bit tricky to get them to match as they have different damping characteristics. The two brand setup is entirely possible and have seen ppl do so. Koni's can be a bit softer up front this is why the two brand setup i believe was chosen.

I run from soft setting; half turn in back and 1 full turn up front. According to Koni there optimal setup for aggressive driving is between a half turn and a full turn.

I would start full soft and let components wear in. Full soft maybe just enough for a comfortable daily driver.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 PM

01 clk 430
Thanks Gizzo, my concern was that the front may be too bouncy considering the Bilstiens in the rear would ride stiffer esp if I had the Koni fronts on softest setting but I may just be the guinnie pig here and see how if feels. Are you supposed to break brand new ones in on the softest setting?

I'm pretty sure I came across a Benzworld post where somebody had done this and liked the way it road but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I just had a few to many beers that evening
Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 / E350 Coupe
The shocks won't change after break in period. The softer setting just allows other components, bushings and springs will find their mark if new with a little bit of wear.

Think of the softest setting as the default setting Koni intended it to run at. If you wanted more +1, +2, +3 damping you would adjust it to your liking. So starting at the softest is a good start in general.