CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Key won't turn - EIS/ECU/Key problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 clk500
Originally Posted by jtoma878
I did. I figured if I swap all of the components that are VIN matched with ones that came from the same donor vehicle then I'd be good to go. The dealer said it wouldn't work - they were wrong.

What you have to do is source these parts from the same vehicle: key, EIS, & ECU. And you must make sure the ECU you get is the identical part number as the one that's in your vehicle or else some electronics might not work properly (don't ask me how I know this). However once you get the parts and install (under an hour for me), it's completely plug and play.

One more piece of advise: try to get the title (or at the very least a copy of the salvage title) - you'll need it if you ever want to order more keys from the dealership

Good luck!!
i have my old ecu and the car stars fine with it but its defective, so i orderd new one my car is a 2004 clk500 and the new one i orderd came from a 2005 clk500 i replaced it but car turns on and right of then i try and try car dosent turn no? were can i go that is cheep to put my vin from my old one on the new ecu i bought . also my car has a salvage of certificate i bought it at an auction from flood what is my next step? no parts needed to be replaced .
Old 09-05-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK500
****UPDATE****

So I was not able to find much info at all, so I decided to use some trial and error...

I went ahead and ordered a used EIS, ECM, Steering wheel lock (ESL), and a key that all came from the same donor vehichle ('03 CLK 320 - mine is an '01)

I put all 3 components in and inserted key - BAM! Turned on first try. Battery was dead so after 30 mins hooked up to the charger she fired right up!!!!

New key also works to lock/unlock doors.

The only problem I am having is the controls on the console that control the trunk release, windows & mirrors are now not working. I actually had to hookp the original EIS & ESL to get the trunk open (my key blade doesnt work, never has) - so I know it's not a bad fuse. Funny thing is, I kept the new ECM in when I did this so that doesnt seem to be the problem.

Right now I have the battery disconnected and am trickle charging overnight. I am hoping this will resolve the issue (reset the system)

Oh, and btw - I got the used parts all off ebay for $250. Beats the hell out of $600 for a EIS & $1500 for an ECM + labor @ the dealership!!!

Will keep posted on the problem with the controls. So far, I have a running car again after 3 months!!!!
How did you change the ESL without putting the key in position 1…? I hate to have to cut it off.. But that may be the only option
Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 AM

2006 CLS 500, 2001 CLK 320, 1984 300D
Originally Posted by debehm
How did you change the ESL without putting the key in position 1…? I hate to have to cut it off.. But that may be the only option
if memory serves you just unbolt it and pull it out. the key does not have to be in position 1, you just have to insert it and you should hear the pin in the ESL retract. Then you unbolt. Good luck!!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 Mercedes Benz CLK320
Fellas-

Here's the story. Out of nowhere, key won't turn. I have searched the forums high and low before posting here but here are the symptoms:

Put key in, can hear the steering wheel lock disengage (can turn wheel). However, key will not turn. Battery in vehicle is fully charged, and I am not sure if it matters but the IF in the key fob itself is working (did check w camera phone). Brake light switch replaced as well.

I do not have a spare key to test with.

As for my options, so far I figure I can order a new key to the tune of $150-$200 and hope that's it. If it's not, I'm assuming it's the EIS which would be strange being that it is recognizing the key (steering wheel unlocking) which is $500 for the part, $150 to have them reset the system (plus a tow to dealership).

I know the key, ECU, EIS, and steering wheel lock are all VIN coded. Knowing this, my real question is: If I were to buy a matching (VIN coded) key, ECU, EIS, and steering wheel lock from a vehicle that was being parted out, can I simply install the 3 and be good to go (plug & play)? I can get all of the parts for $200-$300 and if it works it beats the hell out of trying to replace one by one plus I can do the work myself. Also, is a ECU from a M320 or E320 be interchangeable?

Oh, the vehicle is a '01 CLK 320

All thoughts are appreciated....

Joe
I'm having the same issues. Would a dead battery cause the key not to turn?
Old 09-25-2020, 06:06 PM

2004 Mercedes CLK500 Cabrio
2004 CLK500, one key works, the other doesn't

I inherited a 2004 CLK500 this past July. It is in relatively good condition, but the two keys are pretty beat up. One works perfectly. The other does not work at all. I opened it up and swapped out the old battery, replaced with a new one. Still nothing when I put it into the ignition. It is a plastic key with no metal blade, but rather a small "nub" that goes into the ignition. When I put in the working key there is an immediate reaction, a sort of vibration and the system lights up. And then I can turn it to start the car. With the non-working key, when I put it in, no response at all. Is this a simple matter of having an old key reprogrammed? Do I need a new key? Can I order one from an after market supplier and have it programmed by a locksmith? Or do I have to go through the Mercedes dealership for the key and the programming? I am hoping to save money but I don't want to wind up with a "get what you pay for" mistake, either.

Last edited by Bob'sCLK500; 09-25-2020 at 06:09 PM.