CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Auto Dim Side and Rear Mirror Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK 320
Auto Dim Side and Rear Mirror Issues

I currently have a 1999 CLK 320 Cabriolet that is having a few issues. The first issue is the Auto Dim feature on the Left Side and Rear Interior Mirror.

For the Left Side Mirror it appears that the Electorchromtic(?) fluid has leaked partially out. The glass is not cracked but it does appear that the outer rim is slightly cracked. After looking at the cost (WHOLEY MOLEY) of a replacement I was wondering if it is better to just loose the auto dim function and replace it with just one having just the heated function. In an effort to see if this is feasible I reviewed the wiring connection and it looks like the Auto Dim/Heated Mirror uses a plug type connector with 4 wires while the replacement heated only mirror uses a two prone spade type connection. Given this does anyone know which of the two wires controls the heat vs. the Auto Dim. and I do decide to go this route am I going to be impacting the way the interior rear mirror functions and or result in a code being thrown?

Now for the Interior Auto Dim mirror. This item is acting strange in that it remains in Auto Dim mode all of the time with the exception when the engine is off or when running but in Reverse. I am assuming the Off when reverse is correct however being on in Drive and in FULL SUN is not correct. In thinking that the side mirror issue may have some impact on this I removed the side mirror and then tested it but the results are the same.

Any assistance or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Robert
Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
It is quite common on older cars for the fluid to leak on the side mirrors. When mine did this I replaced them with standard glass which you can get off ebay for about £10 $16. Easy to replace, make sure you get the heated version.

As for the internal mirror , i not sure.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK 320
Replacement Mirrors

Thanks for your reply, as for replacing them with the heated mirrors, do you know which wires I need to use on the four wire plug to get the heated mirror to work?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by rportulano
Thanks for your reply, as for replacing them with the heated mirrors, do you know which wires I need to use on the four wire plug to get the heated mirror to work?
The heated mirror is a basic coil circuit and has just two wires connecting it through spade connectors. I seem to recall that I just connected the two heater wires and left the others as they would have been for the auto dim function.
I don't remember any difficulty in doing this it was really obvious when I took the mirror off so you should have no problems.

PS to remove the glass, you tilt the glass all the way down and in, then to expose a small metal sprung wire that sits in a groove at the top. Use a small flat head screw driver to push this over the lip at the 12 0'clock position, and the mirror will come off its round mount. You will see the two spade connector wires when you do this.

I checked Ebay and found this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...irror&_sacat=0

TIP:
When you buy your glass it can either come with just the glass or mounted on the black plastic backing. From memory I just bought the glass and then pealed of the old broken glass from the OEM black plastic backing, then stick the new heated mirror, which already has the sticky backing supplied, to the original backing , to ensure you are going to get a good fit.