CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

230K : Can you tell what's missing ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 230 Kompressor
230K : Can you tell what's missing ?

Hello there !

Let me introduce myself :
I'm 25 years old, Spanish guy, living in Belgium, automotive engineer

So, I just got a free Mercedes CLK ! It's a european spec 230 Kompressor from the year 2000. It has a blown supercharger and blown automatic gearbox.

So, before giving the Benz away, the owner scrapped everything he could disassemble out of the car to hopefully get some money.

So yes, it's a free car, but the interior, doors, fenders, hood, trunk, seats, radiators etc ... are missing.

My little brother is having his driver's license next year, so I guess I'll be pretty awesome for him to have a CLK as a first car.

Already found another crashed CLK which has done some rollovers, I can retrieve a full interior for free and also found two complete doors (except rearview mirrors) for 250€

So far, this is the list of what's missing on the car :

- Supercharger
- Water radiator
- A/C radiator/condenser
- Intake manifold
- A lot of piping
- visco Ventilator
- Starter motor
- Alternator
- Electric fans
- Throttle body
- ?? Auto gearbox radiator ??
- Intercooler
- Headlights
- Front bumper
- Rear bumper
- Tail lights
- Hood
- Trunk lid
- Power steering pump
- Airbox

I'm pretty sure there's a lot more and this is why I need to check this out with you guys. I already worked for MB, but on semi trucks, nothing to do with this shiny coupé.

So, time to show off my incredible ride !

First picture :

Front left corner. I guess the A plug and the one to the right of it are for the headlights right ?

Something is missing in the B location, have no clue what it is ...

The C pipe is cutted off, no idea where this goes.

Second picture : right side of the engine

Okay, I guess the A is the PCV that goes into the intake
The B looks like a water hose, no idea where it goes
Same for C and D

Third picture : engine bay

You can clearly see the alternator, supercharger and intake manifold missing. Is there anything I should know ?

I guess power steering pump should also be there somewhere as hoses have been cut out.

Next picture : right side in the trunk

So I guess either A or B are the tail light plugs or maybe both.
C D and E are just hanging around, they should go onto something right ?

Next one :

WTF is this ? Looks like an IR transmitter/receiver, it's just hanging by the driver's side with like 2 meters of shielded wire.
Does it go inside the door or something ?

Another one : lower engine bay

This one has been pissing oil during the whole trip, making my trailer rust-free-guaranteed-for-life. There's another one at the other side of the engine. My guess is this is from the gearbox and goes to a cooler or radiator

And last but not least :

That's under the steering wheel, by the left wall.

Something has gone terribly wrong here. Please tell me this is plugged into a stupid -- and inexpensive -- door module or something similar.

I can get the connectors from the crashed CLK I'm scavenging the interior, but I'd like to know what these are plugged into.

That's all for now

Thanks for your time and help. Also any link to a 230K build thread or CLK interior assembling/disassembling thread would be greatly appreciated.

Also forgive my english as it's not my mother tongue

I'd like to have all the parts before starting to put the car back together, as I hate to get stuck and wait for parts ...
Germany is 20 minutes away from home and I speak german (more or less) so getting parts at good prices won't be an issue, as ebay germany is full of cheap W208 parts ...

Cheers !
Old 05-22-2013, 02:03 PM

2002 CLK430
Yikes, you have quite a project on your hands. I've done a couple projects similar to yours and when you don't know what is missing it can be a real challenge. The place I would start is tracking down a factory repair manual. It will become your best friend. I have a 430 so I won't be much help for you. Sorry. Best of luck.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 AM

CLK 230 Kompressor
thanks krazzz ;-)

Got some news !

I managed to retrieve a complete engine for 300€, it comes with Supercharger, A/C compressor, power steering pump and visco/fan.

Though that's an Evo (197 horses) and my benz has a standard 193 horses. But I guess the ECU will manage to make it run .... right ?

Something I didn't notice first is that the engine that comes with mine has been opened (valve cover bolts are missing) and therefore I don't know if the internals have been touched or whatsoever .... looks like not, but my guess is to go for a complete swap and directly fit the one I bought apart.

Wiring looks the same though, I'll maybe have to set the ECU again, but no big deal....

The burnt black connector plugs into the light switch box, and as far as I can see it has burnt because one wire was redirected on another one on purpose .... don't know why, maybe an attempt to instal Led day running lights ? It's very fancy for Chavs and ricers to install a bunch of led lights on their cars over here.

Whatever, I managed to get a full interior and got a cut of all these connectors with long enough wires, so making it back to normal would be no big deal ...

Also, a manual stick shift came with my full interior, I won't need it, so it's for sale for the price of .... : Don't know, don't care, best bid or a trade against another CLK part, make an offer in PM. It's an avantgarde series one, fully covered in leather with the 3 rods and (neutral or reverse) connector.

I'm at work right now, so I'll upload pictures this evening when I'm at home ...

Cheers