CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Sub woofer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Sub woofer?

Hi,

I don't have any experience with upgrading the sound system on a car.

I would like to add a sub woofer to my car since it's getting old

What's a good affordable sub woofer? and what the heck is 10s and 12s? I know it's to do with the circumference of the speaker, but does that mean bigger bass or what?

Getting a sub woofer would require me to get an Amplifier no?

Which is more important for sound quality and hence the amount of money invested? The Amp or the woofer?

Any good places to go in LA area? I went the other day to some sound shop opposite Beverly Center and it seemed a bit expensive for my liking

Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2003, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
Actually, 10's and 12's are the DIAMETER of the speaker, NOT the circumference. which would mean a 10" sub or a 12" sub. If you have the original mercedes stereo, all you would have to do is buy an amplifier (w/ a built in x-over) and a subwoofer/enclosure. 10" subs hit a bit more precise and have a quicker response compared to a 12"'s ability to hit lower frequencies better. It's give and take....depends on what kind of music you listen to. If you only listen to rap and hiphop, then i would recommend a 12" or 15". If you listen to a wide variety of music, go with a 10". A decent amplifier should run anywhere from $200-500. A nice sub w/ enclosure should run from $150-500. Installation should be right around $100...that's including the hi-to-low conveter, fuses, and all power/ground cables.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:21 PM

CLK 320
Hey,

Thanks for the info. Also are there any brands I should look out for? or avoid?

Thanks again
Old 08-29-2003, 06:46 PM
D42

CLK 430
I want to get JL Audio Speakers.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
for amplifiers, my choices in the mid-to-high price range would be rockford fosgate, phoenix gold, JL Audio, or zapco. I have used JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, and Kicker subwoofers before with good results. I wouldn't go out too far and spend too much money, because the rest of your stereo system is still stock, and the bass will probably drown out your mids and highs if you go too crazy.

AL
Old 08-29-2003, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
JL audio subs are probably the best bang for buck.
for amps, i like PPI (their old stuff is really nice), Eclipse... Fosgate stuff is getting better

10s & 12s... yes, 10s have tighter response... the bass is more sharp. the 12s offer more resonance and deeper bass response

a sub would definitely require you to have a separate amp... you can run it off existing amps (or even from our HU), but the sound will be horrible

For best sound quality... NEITHER sub nor amp is as important as a good source... thus, change your Headunit...

If your stock unit is pushing out dirty/*****ty sound... an amp will only amplify the ***** the HU is feeding it....

So... change your HU first, then add an amp... some amps allow bass control, which you can make your rear deck woofers to hit a little harder for bass...

this will eliminate the need for a 2nd amp & for the need to get a sub & the space taking sub-enclosure...
Old 09-01-2003, 04:35 PM

CLK 320
Hey thanks for the help.

I changed my head unit a while back to a Sony (forgot which model). Would that be sufficient?

The music i will mostly be listening to is House since I'm a eurosnob and then hip hop i guess.

So do 10s sound right?

Thanks again
Old 09-01-2003, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by ach7ung
Hey thanks for the help.

I changed my head unit a while back to a Sony (forgot which model). Would that be sufficient?

The music i will mostly be listening to is House since I'm a eurosnob and then hip hop i guess.

So do 10s sound right?

Thanks again
Most aftermarket headunits will show gains over stock headunits... Sony is a good brand, but they are more gimics than they are performance...

1 thing i'm not too crazy about sony stuff is that most of the units have only 2V pre-amp outputs, which is pretty weak... go for something that is at least 4V... the really nice stuff have 8V pre-amp outputs (some Kenwood, Eclipse, etc...)