CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

LCD Weirdness - Battery Charge Related?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430, 2012 BMW X5 3.5d
LCD Weirdness - Battery Charge Related?!

First the LCD Cluster was replaced by the dealer about 2 years ago and has been working fine. No loss of digits and very bright.

Second - my MB Battery is getting old - more than 5 years old and did die on me once when I left the lights on for more than 20 minutes. Had to get it jumped but its been working and charging since.

I leave my car in the garage over the weekend - open the trunk, move the seats etc occasionally. Noticed the last couple of weekends that my clock and shift selection display is missing digits on Monday morning. Drive the car for about 30-40 minutes non stop and guess what - the digits magically appear and STAY that way all week. Its has been doing this for the last three weeks with the same result - they stay on all week only die during the weekend or when the car just sits for more than a couple of days. The severity of the loss of digits seems to depend on the length of time or battery loss. Sometimes only a bar or two - other times a couple of lines on the drive selector and clock. You can actually see the digits slowly come back during driving.

Just a coincidence? Was going to send the gauge off the BBA REMAN to get it fixed - but if its the battery why bother and pay the 120 plus shipping?

I can't imagine that there isn't enough power to drive the display but this one seems a little odd at the least. Will try it again today and report back.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
I would ask the garage if this was a second hand unit. digits missing from the dashboard is quote common on the older cars. I have seen many posts on a quite easy fix by placing a bit of rubber foam to push down on the connections inside your dash that provide your digit display.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM

No it was factory fresh authorized Mb two years ago. Driving it this morning even at idle it phases back and forth from perfect to same digits weak. Over time good to bad then good longer. If the ribbon was bad or bad connection it would do it all week not just after sitting the weekend with power draw from opening door, power seat motor or trunklight. Thought it was heat related but its been hot for a coupld Weeks without problems except for weekend. If it comes back fully I will hook up a trickle charger this weekend and see.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 AM

After about 30 minutes of mixed idle and normal driving the display has come back 100% and I expect it will stay that way unless the car sits for a few days of non use. When I look at the missing digits they are probably 1/3 to 1/2 active in the dead spots. When the car has been charging for about 5 minutes it phases to 100% then after a minute or two reverts back to looking like dead digits then phases back to 100%. Does this a few times with shorter times in between phase. Has to be battery/charge related which is very strange because the car will crank strongly and start immediately. Will have it tested to check the amps. I can't believe that the power draw to the lcd/gauge cluster would require that much - unless its a "feature."

I know about the bonding issue of the ribbon cable to the led panel. If the bond was debonding I would assume that the LED would not come back and driving the car would have zero effect on its bond so putting more pressure shouldn't make any difference.

A while back in Feb, I had my front bumper resprayed and they had the car about 5 days total. When I got the car back I noticed a few bars of the LCD were missing and they returned after about 10 minutes of driving. Never came back until the battery had discharged to the point I couldn't crank it.

I have to replace the battery due to its age anyway so if the display dies with the new battery there goes my theory.

Last edited by stim141; 06-18-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
This is a common problem for the W208 and a new cluster will have the same manufacturing flaws that an older one carries.
I found a good thread for the fix, if you follow along the post it gets modified and produces one of the best fixes I have found with resources.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...xel-fix-2.html

I have yet to repair mine, scheduled for fall maybe.

http://www.equipmentsfinder.com/merc...-shipping.html

All the best, Gator