CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Would E430 or S430 motor go in CLK430?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 AMG
Would E430 or S430 motor go in CLK430?

I'm getting a new used motor for my 01 CLK430. Most of the M113 4.3 motors I can find with low miles were pulled out of a E or S class. Would that motor go right into my CLK or will the motor mounts or anything be different? I also would prefer one from a E or S class than from a CLK since they were probably driven much easier and have a lot less strain in the past. Please help me out ASAP, car rental service is almost up and I want to have her running as soon as I can. Plan on ordering the motor today or tomorrow morning.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 PM

1999 CLK430, 2012 E350, 2012 ML350
im interested in this aswell
Old 06-19-2013, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
I think the man to ask would be MarcusF. I think the basic block etc is the same but the oil pan and perhaps the bell housing and motor mounts could be different but you could swap all that out off your 430. Ask VIPclk320 too. He's a wizard!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
Block should be identical... I would tend to disagree with the statement that they would see less strain.... Have you seen the common demographic that has S430's these days? I doubt they see much maintenance or easy petal time. Also, I would worry less about strain, more about how it was maintained.... These motors are pretty solid, enthusiasts, like myself my put the petal down here and there, although I baby my 430 99% of the time, I'm on top of all of the maintenance. Replace all the gaskets you can, pull up a carfax on the vin from the vehicle it's coming from, if it has low owners, and great maintenance history, why bother getting an S or E class motor when you know you can drop a CLK engine right in.... For instance, in my search for CLK's, I could have had a 55AMG for what I paid for my 430, however, the 55 had 3 previous owners, and spotty maintenance history, that means that somebody paid $75K for it new, probably maintained it accordingly, then another guy 3 years later paid $36K for it, maintained it here and there, possibly at hit and miss shops not a dealer, then the third guy bought it 5 years after that for $16K and drove it through ignoring problems, hot-rodded it, and took it to speedy or jiffy lube and ignored all other maintenance and it showed. My 430 is spotless, 1 owner since brand new, dealer maintenance and repairs every 5K miles, trans service at 50K, all recommended maintenance performed, and it runs PERFECT. I can pretty much guarantee from the condition it's in that it had never been run hard, generally people that buy a non-AMG benz new, don't push it very hard. Food for thought.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 AM

01 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 AMG
Originally Posted by Scott Simoncic
Block should be identical... I would tend to disagree with the statement that they would see less strain.... Have you seen the common demographic that has S430's these days? I doubt they see much maintenance or easy petal time. Also, I would worry less about strain, more about how it was maintained.... These motors are pretty solid, enthusiasts, like myself my put the petal down here and there, although I baby my 430 99% of the time, I'm on top of all of the maintenance. Replace all the gaskets you can, pull up a carfax on the vin from the vehicle it's coming from, if it has low owners, and great maintenance history, why bother getting an S or E class motor when you know you can drop a CLK engine right in.... For instance, in my search for CLK's, I could have had a 55AMG for what I paid for my 430, however, the 55 had 3 previous owners, and spotty maintenance history, that means that somebody paid $75K for it new, probably maintained it accordingly, then another guy 3 years later paid $36K for it, maintained it here and there, possibly at hit and miss shops not a dealer, then the third guy bought it 5 years after that for $16K and drove it through ignoring problems, hot-rodded it, and took it to speedy or jiffy lube and ignored all other maintenance and it showed. My 430 is spotless, 1 owner since brand new, dealer maintenance and repairs every 5K miles, trans service at 50K, all recommended maintenance performed, and it runs PERFECT. I can pretty much guarantee from the condition it's in that it had never been run hard, generally people that buy a non-AMG benz new, don't push it very hard. Food for thought.
Well I know the block is identical. Still the M113. When the engines are coming from a decade old car with less than 60,000 miles and one owner, I'm pretty sure the car was driven pretty easily. Or at least given plenty of rest between hard drives haha.
I would prefer to drop a motor straight from another CLK430, but there much harder to find with low miles and without anything being to be changed like the timing cover, oil pan, and some pulleys. And the good ones with low miles r costing 500 to 1,500 more than a E430 motor with the same amount of miles and condition. There a lot more common in salvage yards, so price is cheaper. Which is very important to a broke automotive engineering student haha.
Oh I completely understand. We buy a lot of used cars and we always pay a lot of attention to the cars history. My CLK430 had one owner. 54 yr old Vietnamese. Asians take extremely good care of there cars. Interior looked and felt like new, engine and even the undercarriage were spotless and she was garage kept, hand washed and regularly waxed and polished. Only reason he sold it was because he hardly ever drove it after getting his SL600. Most AMG owners, at least brand new ones seem to drive them easier from what I have seen here. Mainly because there all middle aged and just like to have the most expensive model available. Unless they're young, then they drive the hell out of those cars like they should be. I can't stand people not driving cars like they were meant to. That's why I love those filthy rich Arabs. They will actually drag race there 2 million dollar hypercars unlike most owners. I've spoken to many owners. The non-amg V8s are normally driven the hardest from my experience. Which makes sense. There the ones who wish they had the AMGs and obviously don't care about it being economical or they would get the V6 or I4 Kompressor. There the ones who are driven easy most of the time by new owners.

Last edited by Gino3; 06-21-2013 at 03:57 AM.