CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

convertible problem.i cant down it.but can up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2013 | 01:40 PM

clk 200 w208
convertible problem.i cant down it.but can up

I have clk 200 w208. I am using it for 6 months..before, convertibles red light was flashing slowly if the convertible up.i didnt pay attention about it.at the same time, my car's trunk can't open manuel or via button if convertible up.but if convertible was down, trunk could open manual or via button.and i can not open trunk via key anytime..i didnt pay attention all these..i didnt use my trunk and i live with the red flashes..one day i couldnt up my convertible..i checked it.there was a fluid leaking on cylinder(a2088000272). I bought another used one and put it there..it seems ok.i put enough fluid..after, i can up the convertible..but i couldnt down.red light flashing slowly if i pull the button.i put convertible down manually.after, convertible can up normally.but if i try open the roof, all windows go down, but nothing else happens the light flashes slowly.roll bar go's up and down when operated by button.but when i. tried to open the roof no
moves at all if roof is up position..beside, if i press to trunk button

Last edited by elizamazana; 07-28-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2013 | 01:40 PM

clk 200 w208
when i push the trunk button, i cant open the trunk.but if i press rollbar's button( sometimes up sometimes down) first, after pull the trunk's button, trunk opens..but roof still no move to down..please help..thank you..murat.
Old 07-28-2013 | 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
There are a few concerns to start with,
For top operation, We need the luggage protector closed, trunk closed and headrest down.

When servicing the hydraulic pump use only Mercedes approved suspension/soft top fluids, A trip to the dealer or a FEBI equivalent hydraulic oil. I prefer MB fluids.

Fuses, The main fuse boxes for the soft top are in the trunk and under the hood near the drivers hinge. They are referred to as SAMS signal acquisition module as well, on e-bay (relay). go figure. Check all fuses, my car has 4 boxes.
Others are reporting lock failures but the slow blink is a trunk interlock or fuse issue. (seemingly).

Hope this helps,

Gator
Old 08-02-2013 | 12:41 PM

1999 CLK 230K
Hi my friend, I remember having the same exact problem such as your. I had to manually put the top down, but it could close by itself. It was pretty bizarre. I ran through the limit switches, relays, fuses, replaced hydraulic fluid. etc etc to no avail. But after 1 whole year i then realized that the pressure bleed screw/valve on the pump was not closed but open. On the hydraulic pump you will see a white cone or funnel covering the pressure bleed screw. Insert a Flat Head screw driver into the cone or funnel and turn right to close and left to open. Mine was open until i closed it. Immediately the roof began working as it should. I hope this helps.

Last edited by ChenZheng; 08-02-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2013 | 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Hey Eliza,
Headrest function is knowledge of a healthy pump which is a plus. The trunk switch intermittent bothers me as something is loose or failing.
Most of these cars key or manual trunk opening mechanics freeze up from lack of use. The trunk electro latch has micro switches built in as well.
The possibilities are limits in the headrest down switch. (under and behind the rear seat). or trunk. There is more to check though.

Chens find was incredibly rare and I would quote it I knew how he found it but the manual bleed screw is used to open or close the top by hand in an emergency or service event.

Try Chens first and report,
Cheers, Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 08-04-2013 at 02:44 PM.