CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 430 Seat Switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430
CLK 430 Seat Switch

Hi,

after a process of elimination being the seat motor, controller unit I can now confidently say that the door switch is the problem for the forward and backward activation.

Can someone please point me to a DIY door trim removal procedure.

Thanks
Andrey
Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I had a link for this buried somewhere W pdf but we can hash it out here if you have time.

Hand pull rail has a small screw driver pry tab, look closely on the bottom. pry hard with a good flat blade driver. there is a door panel mounting screw under there.

SRS badge near the center of the rear of the panel and comes out easy, there is a panel mounting screw under there.

Remove the screw securing the trim by the door jamb latch, remove the trim.
Remove the 3 tiny screws in the door jamb securing the metal plate (chrome on mine).
Remove the tweeter speaker by gentle prying (near mirror).

The rest is plastic push clips which break easy and expect to replace some of them. especially if the re-fitting is poor.

Door opening latch is tricky, once the panel is loose, release cable from the latch side and remove the cable from the panel side. Don't pry open the cable housing clamp.
Once the cable is free from the door handle pull then the housing can be removed from the door panel.
Confused yet?
Its easy the second time trust me on this. Just try not to break anything.
Last is seat control switch and foot courtesy lamp.

I will dig for that PDF

Gator
Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
I take it that you are referring to your door switch problem being that when you go backwards it goes forwards etc?

Well rather then dismantling all the door panel, you could try this simple trick first..

I've had this problem with my car for years, and i've managed to avoid removing the switch by simply tapping firmly with your finger on the wooden surround round next to the seat back part of the switch (my trim is wood). Try this and then test to see if the seat works normally again.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430
thank you both for the suggestions and assistance.

I managed to try both methods, obviously the tapping first which proved ineffectual and then I changed the switch,

The seat is now working properly in all directions.

AEIK is that your CLK in the photo, very nice machine. I am hoping to get mine to a really good standard as well.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
You Bet,

His car does look special, that bumper cover and wheel combination is pro-benz all the way.

The seat switch memory and window memory coupled with the remote inputs are managed by a door controller mounted under the panel, They are available on E-bay often reasonable, I have heard rumors that reflashing might be required for the module to work.
I purchased one for my right side for $25.00 but found another problem once opening the door panel.
The connector on the seat switch is tiny and delicate and easy to jar loose when working in there. Drop of super glue might help.

All the Best, Gator
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by AndreyK
thank you both for the suggestions and assistance.

I managed to try both methods, obviously the tapping first which proved ineffectual and then I changed the switch,

The seat is now working properly in all directions.

AEIK is that your CLK in the photo, very nice machine. I am hoping to get mine to a really good standard as well.
Thanks bro for the kind words! Yes it is my merc, I actually took the photo with my Samsung S2 phone !
I like the understated look so removed the star and replaced front and back with B for Brabus as I have the kit. The grill is colour coded black.