CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

First Problem :( BAS ESP SOS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2013 | 02:23 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
First Problem :( BAS ESP SOS

I just had my first issue with my 430, the BAS ESP SOS celebration of lamps. I've ordered the brake light switch. However I think it's the lateral acceleration sensor and I'll tell everyone why, hopefully I can get some feedback. Rarely do I ever get on my car hard, but last night I was grabbing some lemonade at the Quick Stop, and I have to make a quick entrance and U-Turn back to my house on a road that comes right off the freeway and people travel at high speed, so I jumped on it in the U-Turn and the ESP and Traction kicked in just right, and I realized I forgot to get Tylenol for my headache. So I went to 7-11, grabbed the tylenol and started the car, It went into reverse, the BAS ESP and SOS lit, however, I looked behind and I could see my 3rd Brake light was lit. The brakes felt soft, and the traction control wasn't working. I pulled over, turned the car off, then back on, everything was gone. Is the brake light switch intermittent? Or does this sound like something else like the lateral acceleration sensor or a relay?
Old 09-01-2013 | 04:56 PM

2001 CLK 430 w/5.4 swap, 2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by Scott Simoncic
I just had my first issue with my 430, the BAS ESP SOS celebration of lamps. I've ordered the brake light switch. However I think it's the lateral acceleration sensor and I'll tell everyone why, hopefully I can get some feedback. Rarely do I ever get on my car hard, but last night I was grabbing some lemonade at the Quick Stop, and I have to make a quick entrance and U-Turn back to my house on a road that comes right off the freeway and people travel at high speed, so I jumped on it in the U-Turn and the ESP and Traction kicked in just right, and I realized I forgot to get Tylenol for my headache. So I went to 7-11, grabbed the tylenol and started the car, It went into reverse, the BAS ESP and SOS lit, however, I looked behind and I could see my 3rd Brake light was lit. The brakes felt soft, and the traction control wasn't working. I pulled over, turned the car off, then back on, everything was gone. Is the brake light switch intermittent? Or does this sound like something else like the lateral acceleration sensor or a relay?
I've owned my car for 6 years now and it does this about once a year. Always just goes away after being restarted. Car hasn't blown up yet
Old 09-02-2013 | 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Same here. I get this issue every few months and have done for 6 years!,. I know its the brake switch, and will change it one day !
Old 09-02-2013 | 08:18 AM

2005 SL600
Same here

I have only had my 320 for a couple of months now and the second time I really got on it, same thing. I also had an issue when I put the pedal to the floor and then had a lag in the take off at the next light. Brake light switch, and throttle position switch/sensor and both issues have never returned.

LGSONE
Old 05-11-2020 | 04:04 PM

2013 G550, 09 Audi R8, 01 E55 AMG
hello all, I jus tpicked up a 2001 e55 amg and all three rear brake lights are not working and my abs/bas/esp error messages are on. I just switched the brake light switch that i bought new from the dealer and for some reason all three brake lights still dont work and the same lights are still on the dash. what else could this be? i was pretty sure this was from brake light switch. battery seems pretty strong so i doubt its from that.