CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Coolant/Radiator Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208 CLK55
Coolant/Radiator Leak

Hey guys, le car has sprung a coolant leak. I was driving around the other day and the coolant warning light came on. The engine temp was normal so I decided to keep driving and take a look at it later.

The leak isnt coming from the reservoir cap, it's coming from the top right side of the radiator somewhere. Also it's getting into the airbox through the intake

Very confused as to how to fix this leak, any DIY ideas before I take it to the shop?

I have to drive about 200 miles tonight to make it back to school, but other than that I wont be doing to much driving.

Will update as the issue goes on. Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Pics below...
Attached Thumbnails Coolant/Radiator Leak-engine1.jpeg   Coolant/Radiator Leak-engine-2.jpeg   Coolant/Radiator Leak-engine-3.jpeg   Coolant/Radiator Leak-engine4.jpeg  
Old 09-26-2013, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
When the engine gets up to temp and the coolant goes under pressure then the coolant will continue to leak out faster as it is under pressure. If you have to drive the car loosen/release the cap on the reservoir so there is no pressure build up and drive easy.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:40 AM

W208 CLK55
Originally Posted by Critter
When the engine gets up to temp and the coolant goes under pressure then the coolant will continue to leak out faster as it is under pressure. If you have to drive the car loosen/release the cap on the reservoir so there is no pressure build up and drive easy.
Thanks for the tip! It worked like a gem
Old 09-27-2013, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 Coupe
Although I wouldnt recommend that it will work. I have two possible cheap fixes for you. If the leak is on the radiator and its made of plastic, let it cool down, get some 2 part epoxy, buff area with 80 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface. Clean the surface making sure it is dry, then apply a liberal amount at the crack or leak site overlapping at least 1/2 inch if possible from the edge of the leak. Aloow to cure overnight. This should provide you with enough time to find a replacement radiator. If the leak is at a metal part use JB Weld in place of the epoxy and repeat the procedure. This fix has kept me from walking home or being srtanded out in the woods many times over so I know it works and works well. Hope this has helped.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:36 PM

W208 CLK55
Originally Posted by HWYSTAR
Although I wouldnt recommend that it will work. I have two possible cheap fixes for you. If the leak is on the radiator and its made of plastic, let it cool down, get some 2 part epoxy, buff area with 80 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface. Clean the surface making sure it is dry, then apply a liberal amount at the crack or leak site overlapping at least 1/2 inch if possible from the edge of the leak. Aloow to cure overnight. This should provide you with enough time to find a replacement radiator. If the leak is at a metal part use JB Weld in place of the epoxy and repeat the procedure. This fix has kept me from walking home or being srtanded out in the woods many times over so I know it works and works well. Hope this has helped.
Figured it out, it's just a hose leak due to it being old. For now I went ahead and did the DIY you provided. So thanks man! I'll be getting a new hose soon. Will update on how to install it.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 Coupe
Your welcome. And you were right about the exhaust. The sound never gets old lol.