CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Adjusting headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2013 | 11:51 PM

2001 CLK 320 coupe
Adjusting headlights

Drove my recently purchased 2001 CLK 320 coupe in dark, city streets during
Christmas rush. Headlights would have been perfect for fifteen miles per hour or less, but anything faster is a guessing game at what's ahead. Had do use hi-beams on occasion, and got lots of "finger signals" from other cars.
High beams seem to be positioned properly, but low's shine no
more than twenty feet in front. I'm sure it's not brain surgery, but I'd like
a bit of experienced advice before I experiment with my shiny new MB.
Thanks in advance for advice.
Old 12-22-2013 | 08:00 AM

You had to go to an inspection station when you bought the car. Were they positioned correctly at that time? If yes, then you probably have road rash covers that are diffusing the light stream. Get a kit to clear them up. Your profile does not say your location. If in areas w/ snow, salt and road grimm...you might just have salt all over the lights.
Old 12-22-2013 | 12:59 PM

2001 CLK 320 coupe
Thanks for the advice CindyCLK. I live in the Los Angeles ( if that's living ) area.
We don't have the weather issues that other parts of the country do. In LA, you don't
have to get lights checked when buying a car. The headlight lenses are clear and
clean, so either they're adjusted too low, or the road's too high ( lol ). I'll take it in
to the shop next week for a verdict.
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-24-2013 | 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
There should be small adjustment screws on the top or rear of the headlight housings. one for vertical, one for horizontal. I had to adjust mine when I bought a new set of aftermarket lights. You can search the web for various home methods to align them, usually involves parking a certain distance from a wall on a flat surface and adjusting until they are focused at about the height of a normal car bumper. I just used some trial and error until the focus of the beams seemed right while driving normally in a darker area. I can't really show you on the stock lights because I never had them.