CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

AC compressor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Coupe
AC compressor

we had the mechanic check the car out before we bought it and he noticed the AC compressor leaking so the guy took $500 off the price for it. few months after, it's hardly cooling at all so i take it back to the mechanic, he cleans it up, sprays some stuff on it, and asks me to bring it back later. i take it to him, he gives me some yellow glasses and shines a black light on the compressor...the whole thing's green and being the frank hungarian guy he is, says "your compressor is leaking like a son of a *****!"

has anyone else on here had problems with their compressor? he said that on this model (1998), there's no way to tell the amount of oil or gas/freon in the compressor so it's not like he can add more oil or more gas - he says that even a litte bit more/less of either will cause the entire system to blow, spread nasty stuff throughout, and double the repair costs.

he said a used compressor would be $600 or $700 and then with installation a total of $900 i believe. anyone have ideas/comments on this or experience with a compressor dying?